AuthorTopic: [C+C] I made a thing  (Read 2139 times)

Offline nedned2k

• View Profile

[C+C] I made a thing

on: September 28, 2015, 11:08:36 am
I've dabbled in pixel art for a while now, but have never sought criticism until now. I think it's pretty nice, but what do I know? I'm sure I can improve somewhere. Anyway, here goes.

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] I made a thing

Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 01:30:05 pm
I think there's a lot of areas that can be improved so im going to suggest a few things to look as a first step.

the mountains cliff and hill all have a bright outline  id get rid of that. replace it by touching up a few of the edges with highlights where the moon light would be hitting it.

the river and lake look quite unnatural. rivers are never perfectly straight and when they connect to a large body of water they don't have corners.. instead they get wider.

the background mountains could be improved with a little shading

in this example i have dug up from Google you can see the dark triangles of shading? these give the mountains a shape instead of leaving them like a card board cut out.

i am not sure what is going on with your moon? if its supposed to be a smaller moon/ planet in front of it or a hole/socket in it?  and also the 'field'? looks like its got corps at least 5 floors high.
Linaru Greyfall

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 02:08:34 pm
You'll have to give us some more info on what you're drawing. I see a moon and mountains, but everything below is unclear to me. At 1x zoom it seemed like there was some sort of military vehicle, but when I zoom in, I'm not sure what it is (is it an electronic circuit?). The purple thing that only becomes visible when you zoom in seems to be a dragon? Is that correct?

Offline nedned2k

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 08:49:17 pm
Yeah, it's meant to be a gas giant with another moon in front, and the dragon is overlooking a settlement. Thanks for the criticisms, I'll see If I can improve it sometime in the next few days.