AuthorTopic: [wip] sprites and tilemap for platform game  (Read 3678 times)

Offline fremachuca

• View Profile
    • oophok studio

[wip] sprites and tilemap for platform game

on: August 18, 2015, 12:01:37 am
First of all hello everyone.

I've been lurking around the forum, trying to learn as much as possible regarding pixel art. I will need that knowledge to create all the assets for the game im currentely developing.
So, I decided to register and actually start posting some of the stuff I've been doing. Im sure I'll get some awesome feedback!

My game uses a 16x16 tilemap and most of the sprites will use that same size. I plan on having bigger sprites just for bosses.
Regarding art direction I went for a simpler visual style. Not much of light/shadow shading. Keeping things more graphical.

This specic area is supposed to be a cave like place from the start of the game. I tried to keep important/dangerous stuff more saturated and the background a bit less saturated.

Ideas? Comments?

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Re: [wip] sprites and tilemap for platform game

Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 12:38:41 am
Looks awesome!
Only the ladder looks kinda weird because it is just standing strait. I know this is because of the grid but looks weird anyways
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 12:42:07 am
It looks like we are seeing everything through a haze.  Your colors are all close to medium gray.  Increase the contrast through value and/or saturation.

Offline fremachuca

• View Profile
    • oophok studio

Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 01:41:47 am
Redid the color pallete and added a couple of details here and there. Starting to like the direction this is going.

About the ladder ill try adding some elements to it to mix it with the surrounding environment.

Ideas?

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 11:56:46 am
i preferred the original colour palette, everything looked softer. kind of fez like.
Linaru Greyfall

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 01:37:22 pm
To me the new color palette is much better, and I don't think the ladder is a problem; games often have stuff like that and no one questions it. I think the pixelling could be cleaned up on just about all the tiles. It's kind of sloppy and there are noisy single pixels. It seems everything has specular highlights, though most of them wouldn't be so shiny.

Offline fremachuca

• View Profile
    • oophok studio

Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 05:44:37 pm
Linaru; I also have a tendency to like more desaturated pastel colors, but the color pallete wasnt helping me with value contrast. Everything was just really close to medium gray.

Parkerbaby; I know what you mean about sloppy and noisy pixels. Im still really new to pixel art so still trying to figure out how to get my style working with all the pixel art rules.
Also, I'm kind of struggling a bit trying to balance between shapes and keeping stuff simple with my 16x16 tile limitation. On my first image I had less pixel noise and also the specular pixels were made with less contrasting colors. But I felt the image was kind of lacking. Seemed too plain.

Started to work on the little village the player will encounter.

The left shop doesn't have bounce light(some greens and blues, since the shop is located at an open sky area), the middle shop has the bounce light layer to 50% (cheating) and the right shop has the layer opacity at 100%

Comments? Ideas?

*the black thingy there is about the scale of a character, just for reference.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 12:45:49 am
I'd just like to second that I like the original colors better. But they'd probably do you no favors as far as readability goes, so if you like the new colors then go with it.
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 03:18:15 am
I'm the one who originally said that your colors needed some work, but I'll have to admit that I like the original colors better than the new.  All of your browns turned into reds.

Offline fremachuca

• View Profile
    • oophok studio

Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 10:50:47 pm
Heres the palette currentely at 18 colors.

I intend on sticking with it for the whole game, so I guess it would be fine going up to 24 colors.
Ill have 6 different areas in the game that will be completely different colorwise, so the pallete needs to be flexible enough for that.

What do you all think?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 10:56:03 pm by fremachuca »