AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] Tileset and sprites for retro platformer  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Vladoune

• View Profile

[WIP][C+C] Tileset and sprites for retro platformer

on: August 19, 2015, 05:03:54 pm
Hey everyone ! I want to improve the tileset i'm working on for a retro platformer i'm doing (kind of like a metroid/vania). I'm looking for comments any criticism if you got any, it would be really appreciated.

Looking at my work it seems to me that there is not enough details and/colors. Is it a good thing or a bad thing i'm not sure yet, need a little feedback about that. Here it is :

The game is made to be zoomed in... think super nintendo on a television. So click 3-4 times on it to so expected result.

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] Tileset and sprites for retro platformer

Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 03:23:46 am
I like the rocks.  You need some sort of transition between the ground and the lava.  The man has very strange proportions.  To turn him into a person you would need to shorten his neck, shrink his head, make his arms longer, and make his legs longer.

Offline Vladoune

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 03:22:19 pm
Thanks for the input ! Reworked it just a little bit, I don't know if it's what you meant by transition but here it is. I thought of putting some light effects on the rocks but then I wasnt sure because they appear to be in front of the lava. Anyway if I'm doing light effects I'll probably be looking into shaders.

About the character, he's supposed to have a disproportionned head. I want to make different helmets in the game so I would like to be able to customize it as much as possible. So i'm wondering, if we forget the head, are the proportions alright ??

I added up two types of ladder I did + a crystal thingy + reworked the pillars. Thanks again for your comment.

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 04:46:06 pm
I like the character design lol
I think you need to add some stones or at least a texture to the brown fields (those next to the stones).
I just looks too plane
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Vladoune

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 06:36:47 pm
Great suggestion and I think it definitely improve the scene (thanks !)... but maybe I overdid it a little haha.

I'm thinking removing a couple of stones and make more unique tiles like the crystal one to avoid redundancy. And also now more than ever I think that the pillars doesn't really fit with the rest. Should work on that again.

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 07:27:42 pm

Some thoughts on the rocks moslty.
I don't think the newest rocks are an improvement. I would extend the rock layers from the surface and make them blend in the further you go.
You probably also don't need outlines on your environments.
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 09:04:25 pm
Hello. Nice work on the rocks, but it is a bit surprising to see them laser-cut to have 135° shapes at the edge of the mockup.

You brought some improvement to those dark-green pillars, but they still suffer much from having their highlight precisely on the edge. You typically have that only with cubic items or with very specific lightning. Most of the time, highlight might be _near_ the edges, but not precisely _on_ the edge, unless you want to make them look sharp and your object angular, like you did for the (brown) rocks (top of the picture). May I ask you what material you want them to be made of ?

Both rocks, however, would benefit from having highligh-on-sharp-edges only when they're in an area in the light. That especially needs fixing with the purple rocks as the contrast is much higher there.

I think http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LtwkN4oRTe0/StTqvcWP6oI/AAAAAAAABpY/fXsXEf-ZfDk/s320/ziggyforest.png could be an interesting reference for you.