AuthorTopic: Need tips on a hi-res space planet  (Read 5431 times)

Offline aramaki

• View Profile

Need tips on a hi-res space planet

on: August 15, 2015, 03:13:20 pm
I was doing a planet for a cut-scene. But then realized, that I don't understand some aspects of this format.

How to deal with the radiating light gradients? It feels off for some reason. Is there a way ta make it look better with even less colors?

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Need tips on a hi-res space planet

Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 06:29:51 pm
You could try dithering it if you want it smoother but with less colors. By adjusting the strength of the dither, you can get some gradual transition.

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 06:55:20 pm
You have some confusing elements to the composition of your scene.
Is the viewer positioned above watching the ship below?  If so, then the planet is presumably below the ship and it is flying over?

With no light source behind or below the planet it wouldn't show much of a radiant haze for the atmosphere.  Unless the planet itself is glowing.
Any light you see in space (anywhere actually) is reflecting off of something.  Even when it is passing through, the color you see is hitting particles and bouncing off heading in your direction.  Most of these pieces that show planets with a haze around them, are showing the atmosphere of the planet.  It is reflecting light from a nearby star usually. How bright it is and how large the haze is depend on both the angle of the light's approach and the general size of the planet.

You have to think about how "high" the atmosphere is on a planet like this for you to nail down a sense of how thick that haze should be.
It wouldn't all be a perfect spherical bubble around the planet either.  You would be better to try to capture a feeling of fog perhaps.
Brightest at the edge of the planet where that atmosphere would be the thickest (more to bounce off of) and fading out gradually.

Suggestion, shrink the size of your gradient bands, they feel huge.
Try to bring your contrast down some between each color.
Try not to be so perfectly circular on the gradient boundaries. Those long straight lines stand out to the human eye really heavily.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline aramaki

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 10:22:48 am
Johasu, AlexHW, thank you. You have enlightened me so I can keep going.

Emitted light got dimmer, and some dithering is applied.

Offline Pinux

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 02:00:24 am
Hey, I know it might not help to much but here is something you might want to check out  :y:

http://managore.itch.io/planetarium

Edit 2 : I know there is a better one out there I'm still looking for it, I came across it before but you can edit size, clouds, water, and lighting of course more
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:31:44 am by Pinux »

Offline Alexanator28

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 04:39:24 am
I love the planet's surface in the latest edit! The dither in its clouds look awesome!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 08:16:34 am
what software r u using?
edit: what software do u have /can use?

Offline aramaki

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 11:03:02 am
Decroded
it's Photoshop CS 3. For the surface I did use the trick with indexed painting described here http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=16531.msg149962 . Surface and clouds were added manually, and dithering too.

Alexanator28
thank you!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 01:43:55 am
atm ur atmosphere dither is only small which slightly smooths the transition between bands.
the bands would be much less obvious with larger sections of dither.
try this...

1. make a layer with a small section of bright purple and transparent dither (so it stands out).
2. select a nice square bit of the dither
3. edit (I think!) - define pattern - save as "dither"

now select  a part of a layer and choose paint bucket.
up the top on toolbar change it from foreground colour to pattern and choose dither.
fill the area with ugly dither.
set paint bucket back to foreground colour, disable contiguous and fill in the 2 colours u want dithered.

I think u can also paint the dither on with a brush but can't think how to explain that without PS in front of me.

Offline aramaki

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 07:39:51 pm
A new version. Is it better?