AuthorTopic: [C+C] Hollow  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

[C+C] Hollow

on: August 14, 2015, 04:32:33 pm

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Hollow

Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 05:01:39 pm
Sooooooooo.....What exactly do you want?

Ambiguous posts help nobody, not the artist nor the people doing the critique.

Do you have questions about anatomy? gesture? colors?...etc. What type of help are you looking for?

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 05:04:51 pm
amazing O:
But I don't think the sword is too clear, or at least the part he is holding
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 05:26:55 pm
Sooooooooo.....What exactly do you want?

Ambiguous posts help nobody, not the artist nor the people doing the critique.

Do you have questions about anatomy? gesture? colors?...etc. What type of help are you looking for?
About everything you said really.

@Update
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:37:17 pm by Dnilb »

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 08:42:24 pm
I noticed that you are getting much better with each drawing you do and its awesome. 

There are still a few problems that are being carried on throughout all the pieces that relate to anatomy and proportion but they will dissipate with practice and study (Is that even a place where the word dissipate works?  :P) One thing that i do have to say about your problem is that it may be your own style of work ethic and the process that works best for you but you have to finish one project and improve it before you move onto another and another and so on. 

There are some problems with this guy's pose that dont quite make sense.  First and foremost his stance is a bit awkward.  Im not to sure what a hollow is in this circumstance because they are different in different cultures but this guys current pose looks like he is trying to cut to his own arm, which... makes sense i guess if hes a crazy mofo.  If thats the case then his teeth shouldnt exactly be so white and his bandages so pristine.  I made them dirty by shifting the hues and saturations of the bandages in different places and decreased the contrast from light to dark on them.

One other thing worth mentioning is the idea behind certain colours.  When blood dries it turns brown (slightly irrelevant but still)  Also when you have one colour beside another it can appear to be different than it is.  For example on the shirt in order to make blood stains you dont have to use a red you can use a more orangy brown because paired with the green it will still look pretty red.  This can be applied in amny different places.

One thing you need to study  up on is the theories (cant think of a better word) behind the folding and stretching of cloth, im sure you can easily find a good one (heres one http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/clothes/clothes1.htm and heres another http://www.mightyartdemos.com/mightyartdemos-bradley.html ((i just found them randomly and they look ok)))  His legs could be a little bit longer and whatnot.  I did a quick edit to kinda show you what i mean with all this stuff. 

I didnt bother with the pose because then i would have to start from scratch, this was more of a paintover :D

Edit:
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 08:58:12 pm
I actually had a pose refrence this time around, but I can't seem to find it...
I didn't pay attention to folding/stretching of the cloth at all in any of my sprites, I will try to include it in my new sprite.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 06:06:43 am
looks like he cut off his own hand :lol:

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 01:59:15 pm
Looks real dark and muddy to me, especially with that background.
The head wraps could stand to be a little thicker for readability.

Is this a game sprite or just for fun thing?