AuthorTopic: [wip][c+c] Tiles for Game jam  (Read 3957 times)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

[wip][c+c] Tiles for Game jam

on: August 13, 2015, 10:25:20 pm
I'm working on a game for a jam. I had the thought of posting some work for some critique, in-case anyone might see some way to improve the art. I have my mind split between various things and have been running on instinct, so it'd be great to get some feedback/critique or whatever you have.
There are various things I don't like about the tiles, so I hope those get pointed out. :)
Make me learn something!

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Re: [wip][c+c] Tiles for Game jam

Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:37:20 pm
If the pieces in the left middle ( leaves) are going to be placed besides each other then the borders between them will be visible ( or at least I think so)
awesome tiles...I think im going to try making something in advance for Ludum Dare as well ^^
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Pinux

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 11:11:09 pm
The shovels handle is kind of out of angle from what I see but I do love the rest

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 05:34:58 am
I'd love to see these in a mockup of sorts, to see how you want them to be used. As for right now all I'm coming up with is a bit of a palette edit.

Original:

My Edit:

I stretched some of the colors a bit cooler, just due to an almost nighttime vibe the original was giving off. Pushed some colors towards odd ends in hopes that they could be used for other things. At the moment your palette has a lot of brown and a lot of green, so I pushed some towards the reds and purples and grays (to suggest complimentary colors in some cases).

The tall grass in mine changed slightly because it didn't agree with my palette as much, so I made some unnecessary edits. And again these changes were made without knowing how the tiles truly interact, but hopefully some of this helps a bit

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 04:44:13 pm
here's how some of the tiles look when tiled together.

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 10:16:42 pm
Are the trees/bushes with the brighter leaves passable? Right now, they don't look like part of the background to me. (Overall, the tiles are looking beautiful, though!)

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 10:46:44 pm
I think the transition between the top and side edges of the platform is too late—you have an unnecessary line going on there.
You could hide the grid a little better in the main foreground tile.
Don't know what you've got banding all over the top edge for.
The stringy drop shadow doesn't match with its surroundings. The bottom edge would not likely create such a shadow and the adjacent walls don't have that topography.
The standalone root tiles need work. They're a little too busy, and perhaps the black could be switched out for the 2nd darkest color.

But as is, it's a great set.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 09:09:47 pm
There is huge potential and impressive technique in those tiles, but yet, they don't seem to work on the mock up, with strong seams (pink lines).

Some of the area-filling tiles (blue square) is also curiously focusing only on the center of the tile, making them look as repetitive pattern rather than as a texture.