AuthorTopic: [WIP] [C + C] Platformer Sprites  (Read 3870 times)

Offline ProtoEntity

• View Profile

[WIP] [C + C] Platformer Sprites

on: August 12, 2015, 01:25:35 am
Hi guys,

Posting my first few sprites I've made to show the improvement I've made in my very short journey with Pixel art.

This is the first sprite I made based on the Walk frames in this gif of Curses N' Chaos
          I went away from this because I felt that doing sword swings would be a bit cluttered would like help with that matter if possible:

Then after a few days I came up with this

and later reduced the amount of colors cause I felt the shadow under the hair was abit too much:

Finally, I tried making a sword swing animation which is what I would like the most
 critiques/help with I didn't use and reference when coming up with this so I know it going to be pretty bad:

Took me about a month to come up with most of these I'vd been slightly modifying the sword animation for about 2 months.

I'm going to update this thread regardless of if I get comments or not for as long as I can, Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 01:38:10 am by ProtoEntity »

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] [C + C] Platformer Sprites

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 02:59:34 am
First off, there's a mechanic in this forum to enlarge an image by clicking on it, so blowing it up is unnecessary. :D Second, that animation is really shaky! If the character is standing in one spot, their feet should stay in one place, not jump all over the place.

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 10:40:35 am
i would say the sword swing looks a bit more like he is drawing his sword than swinging it.  the sword needs to swing out in front of the character more if its going to hit an enemy stood there..

kind of rough example.. though the characters pose is probably not right for that attack

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:49:57 am by Linaru »
Linaru Greyfall

Offline ProtoEntity

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 10:56:35 pm
Yea, I agree that the pose doesn't really fit and that it's super shaky. I'm going to fix that by actually using reference this time.

Small Update: after staring at this sprite for so long I realized that its head was way to big for what I was going for so I made it smaller, and of course the eye style I was using didn't work with it so I had to figure something else out. I still think it looks a little weird but, while I'm trying to figure out my sword animation any comments on the change and how I can improve it?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:36:28 am by ProtoEntity »

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 12:01:57 am
The hair doesn't look like the one on the first picture
also the pixel on the shoulder looks kinda weird
but the rest is good I guess
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 10:56:34 am
after staring at this sprite for so long I realized that its head was way to big for what I was going for so I made it smaller, and of course the eye style I was using didn't work with it so I had to figure something else out. I still think it looks a little weird but, while I'm trying to figure out my sword animation any comments on the change and how I can improve it?

an good reference for attack poses might be Holders animated battle sprites:
http://dark-holder.deviantart.com/art/Zerig5-StandardSword-457953609
they are only 4 frame animations and made for a differnt style of game

As for the characters appearance, his arm looks a little off in the new version.. almost as if its drawn with differnt sized pixels.

here is my attempt,

its quite hard to work with such a small scale.. moving a single pixel can can change it from looking okay to not looking anatomically correct.
Linaru Greyfall

Offline ProtoEntity

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 06:37:38 pm
Heyo,

I am still alive and keeping my promise, so heres an update: I changed his style yet again to:   and a new swod swing animation:
Based heavily on the chasm sword swing:

I'm going to try and stick this this style cause changing i every few days is a bit exhausting and I'd like to move on to other stuff like tiles and enemies.

BTW, I'm using a combination of 2 GBC Palettes in Pyxel Edit to make this because I was kinda overwhelmed on where to start with color. Thought I would put that out there if anyone was wondering about the color choices.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 06:41:48 pm by ProtoEntity »

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 11:31:53 am
the animation looks much improved.  i would say it needs to swing further tough..

swords have weight to them and they don't just stop at your feet when you finished swinging them
the chasm sword animation  you showed has it right, the sword starts behind the character and has enough room to build up a swing then ends behind the character so would be able to follow up with another swing the opposite direction.

by contrast your new guy does not have the same kind of flow

aside from that it looks great compared to the previous one
Linaru Greyfall

Offline ProtoEntity

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 10:46:01 pm
I'm trying to deviate from Chasm animation as much as I can. I don't want to just straight up copy it.   :(