AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] Luna sketch  (Read 6077 times)

Offline Boraka

• LunaBulnes
    • View Profile

[WIP][C+C] Luna sketch

on: August 11, 2015, 07:55:41 am
Hi

I introduce you Luna, from Dota2.

It's just a sketch for the moment. I wanted the main character to be spaguetti style, but I'm not sure if it's working well with the cat's style she is riding and I really don't know how it could be better (I'm not used to paint or draw animals)

I don't wanna go further with the piece until the design is consistent and appropriate, It's a special piece for me because it's for a gift, so I appreciate any help you could provide.

Offline AimlessZealot

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] Luna sketch

Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 12:21:26 pm
I've always thought of the sort of minimalist pixel art form you're doing for her as being similar to gesture drawing. When you gesture draw, it is vital to avoid drawing the idea of a thing instead of its reality. The cat you're doing is very stylized and represents the idea of the character more than the reality. It's a big cat. As a result, you've exaggerated proportions to make it read as a big house cat. I went through and played with proportions (though possibly taking out some of your spaghetti length in the process):

(Full disclosure, I'd never actually seen this character before looking it up to see what I could do)

When I studied some reference images some of the proportions that jumped out at me were:
* Its head is only slightly wider than her hips.
* Its paws are the same size as her shoulders.
* Its eyes are as high above its nose as its nose is above the bottom of its jaw.
* Its tail is half the length of its body.

Even this I ultimately didn't really feel conveyed the proportions very well so I did a quick anatomical breakdown using different colors to represent each appendage. I heavily recommend this technique when dealing with any new/unusual anatomy as a way of blocking out forms:

I've changed its pose a little but I hope this stuff helps you find the information you need to correct your initial sketch and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Good luck and great work!

Offline Boraka

• LunaBulnes
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 02:38:11 pm
I have remade the concept and here is the result

I have to add a shield and a sword but I haven't done any decent attempt for the moment  :mean:

All of you are welcome to do any criticism :)

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 03:46:16 pm
looks great!  (though I'm not familiar with Dota 2)
The moon does look a bit jagged, maybe it could need some AA

Wow this rock looks amazing ^^
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 08:55:42 pm
I find that with your luna the Lady on top and the animal she rides dont match enough.  You should use some of the colours from luna's armor to add to the armor of the animal.  Other than that i think that it looks quite nice.  The moons outline i find to be to harsh especially when luna herself doesnt have any outlines.  The colours could use some unifying and some more thought rather than just whats exactly accurate.  Looks good keep it up  :crazy:
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline Boraka

• LunaBulnes
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 08:16:17 pm
Hi there!

Here's the last update.

I have added some details to the moon, and some AA. Also I have work a little in the cat's shadows and have added some blue gems to the armor, in order of keep some armony between the mount and the rider. I have change the background also because I want to print this piece in a t-shirt and it will be probably black or drak gray.

I have lot of work remaining (add sword and shield, work a little more the shadows...)

You are wellcome to do any criticism as always  :)

Offline The Phinx

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 08:56:41 pm
Came out waaay better than the first nice job man!

Offline Boraka

• LunaBulnes
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 12:27:06 pm
I have made my first attempt adding both sword and shield.

I think I prefer the first pose, with the sword over the head and the straight arm, but I would like to hear your opinions. Also, I'm not very happy with the shield, I don't know if is por the color palette, the shape or what...  ???

I will appreciate all your feedback  ;D

Edit

I have done some quick modifications.
Changed the colors of the shield matching the mount's armour colors instead of the sword colors (added a blue gem also). Changed the colors for the sword handle too
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 12:42:47 pm by Boraka »

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 06:40:08 am
I really like this. Huge improvement over the original. I feel like the sword is making it a little compositionally noisy, though. Perhaps something like this that follows the line that the points of the moon create would be better?

EDIT: Also, your new shield colors blend in with the tiger thing's headdress. I'd stick with silver.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 07:19:05 pm by PsylentKnight »
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline Boraka

• LunaBulnes
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 02:23:42 pm
New Update

Shield redesigned. I have added also some shadows to Luna herself, and changed some colors to the moon, matching Luna's hair and sword.

@PsylentKnight, I understand your point, and maybe I should try to move the moon in order to gain general harmony for the composition, but I think I prefer keep the straight arm, I have the feeling that with this proportions that pose it's more dramatic  :)

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 06:54:16 pm
This is coming along nicely. However, your characters are quite lost in the background, both with the lack of contrast with the sky, and the moon detracting from their focus.
You'll need to make a judgement call as to which parts you want to emphasize.
In addtion to adjusting the contrast/potentinally saturation, you can also highlight the edges that touch the dark sky (on the side they're lit) and outline the edges of the sword that touch the moon. That should help separate things better.

Offline Boraka

• LunaBulnes
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 08:40:30 pm
Hi there  :)

I was just working in some of the things you pointed @Joe. I have added some more contrast between deep shadows and high lights. I have changed also the shield in trying to do it more readable, but I think I've failed :crazy:

I have a lot of trouble with the color palette. It could be because I usually work in three different computers, and each one has a different monitor, also I don't know if my main computer has a proper color configuration for working with stuff like that, and I don't know how to configure it. I feel kinda like a color blind all along the creation process.

Thanks for all this feedback, it's very useful.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 09:08:35 pm
This is pretty cool and way ahead of where it started, congrats on that. :y:

Some tips:

Study some Frazettas, those have central compositions like yours, and basically similar subject matter. See how it uses lights/darks to lead your eye around, maybe draw arrows on top of it to visualize if it helps.

Aside from that show less, imply more. There is a lot of stuff in shadow in my edit that is basically all lit and textured in the original. These shadows are forming abstract shapes. Try skipping some literal 1px details, and it would read better as a whole image.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:15:52 pm by pistachio »

Offline Boraka

• LunaBulnes
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 09:57:12 pm
Hi again!

I have done a quick edit trying to add some of your tips @Pistachio, and I have to say I really like the result.

I have also taken your idea of putting the shield in the back because it was just what I needed!!! I wasn't happy at all with the shield in none of the previous versions.

Thanks, I have notice that I'm improving my skills, and the most important thing, I'm enjoying a lot the process!! ;D

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 11:20:10 pm
Pistachio ninja'd me but here's what I was working on. His edit is dynamic, super tight and I actually recommend you rework your piece based on those ideas. Meanwhile I tried to stick to your style, so here are some ideas that will be easier to transfer:

My thoughts:
You have a lot of stuff fully lit, like the left side of the tiger's beard for example, that couldn't possibly be lit without reflected light. Since there is nothing in front of this woman, there is no reflected light.
Dither, especially at this resolution, is very powerful—too powerful. It's just pure noise, you may as well save as JPG if you're going to dither so much.
Instead, and please try this from now on, focus only the volumes! Define your forms carefully—and only at the end, if everything looks good, sprinkle on a bit of dither as texture. It's like salt, and you've got too much of it.  ;)

When I reworked the shield and the cat's right arm, I had no idea what was going on. The forms are poorly defined and cannot be read, which makes them effectively noise. Rework them so they are clearly understood.

You're rendering from a "up is light, down is dark" paradigm, which is true in most cases, but the reality is "near light source is light, away from light source is dark". Of course the only source here is the moon, so the left side of the cat would be in darkness, there is nothing that could possibly light it.
Highlighting the edges of the rock is both possible, since the moonlight could reflect off it, and helpful, since it further distinguishes the subject—speaking of: is the moon your subject? I'm guessing no. In which case, push it back. It is competing with your subject for attention, and at this point it's almost winning.

Lastly, a little theory. You know that every pixel represents something real that occupies that space. So consider the hair: if the hair is white, the pixel is white. But if the hair gets thinner, then the average color of that pixel becomes darker, since some background is showing. And so the thinner the hair gets, the closer the pixel gets to the background color. The same is true if the hair recedes in space, same effect. So take a look at your hair strands and consider what they're implying.

Offline Boraka

• LunaBulnes
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 09:23:07 pm
Thank you all for all this feedback and tips.

I think I will call it "finished". I'm conscious that it could be improved for sure, but since I don't have infinite time I think this will be my final picture.

It has been pretty funny and I'm satisfied with the result. I want to think that I can see the improvement through all the thread and it is pretty satisfying.  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks again!!