AuthorTopic: An artist to work with me on a game about a tiny octopus that nobody likes  (Read 1996 times)

Offline ChosenCharacter

• View Profile
I'm looking for an artist who's up for a real creative challenge to work with me on a metroidvania I'm working on. I've been doing art and coding in the past and it's been too time consuming to do both roles. The game itself is about a tiny octopus that nobody likes (yes, that's the pitch) who is out to prove itself in an unforgiving world.

The challenge of the art is the style of the game, really there's a few good restraints with a lot of room to work with: The style of the game is meant to be a mix of 'LCD Bootleg' and Game Boy, essentially getting a Game and Watch vibe. All backgrounds are 4 colors (which change depending on the area,) and all characters are black/clear. I have a screen of what I'm doing down below.

Currently the general game coding is done, what I'm doing right now is level design. Artistically these levels have a lot of freedom, as I'm going for a very 'hodge podge' style, which means pretty much anything goes. In other words, what I'm looking for is less of a pixel by pixel artist and more of someone who's comfortable using a pixelized brush.

You're going to have a ton of creative control with this one. Mainly what I'm gonna need is:

- Bosses (including designing them, I have prompts and that's it)
- Levels (I'll be handling a lot of the 'small stuff,' so I'm looking more for a person who can do larger art)
- Whatever else you want to do. I can use the help and I'll step aside if you want to do something.

The game's resolution is 144x256, so the art is rather small.

[Mood Board](http://www.gomoodboard.com/boards/KuG5i5V-/share)

[Screenshot WIP In-game](http://i.imgur.com/hMJh4hA.png)

Demo of the Game, was done with Flash, for the Made in MA party, note: This is old. The current game was switched to Haxe and has gained a lot of mechanical complexity since then.

As these things go, this is revenue share. I have experience finishing games, and my previous game Second Wind was well received with 500k plays and even a fan wiki so I'm confident this game will sell. I demoed it at the Made in MA party before PAX East, and despite a poster made with sharpie on the flip side of a torn up liquor box, I had a good showing of people having fun and enjoying the sense of humor. You can see these pics here

If you're interested, contact me at chosencharacter@gmail.com
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 10:51:56 am by ChosenCharacter »