AuthorTopic: [C+C] Garou  (Read 6927 times)

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: [C+C] Garou

Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 07:18:47 am
Is he really so buff that his six-pack is showing through his sweater? That's pretty hardcore.

Offline rafa04

• :D
    • View Profile
    • AVR Stamford

Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 08:24:15 am

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/14/146991/4268941-200px-mega_luxray.jpg

Garou from One Punch Man manga. I'm new in here, but I prefer the design number 2. But you can make his hair a like the design no. 1 :)

Here the image:

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 11:19:55 am
Is he really so buff that his six-pack is showing through his sweater? That's pretty hardcore.
He is buff + the shirt is tight

@Update
Made him more muscular, changed some shades and proportions.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 12:53:16 pm
The hair shading is just too random, there's no volume to it. You need to establish volume first, before you try to texture it. The anatomy of the chest/abdomen does not make much sense, I suggest you study some anatomy before continuing. For example, the obliques are non-existant, while the six-pack is ultra defined, right through the clothes (no, there isn't a single bodybuilder buff enough to have his abs show through even the tightest of clothes).

The pants are pretty good, though I'm not sure if you properly established the legs underneath. The drapery of the pants doesn't seem to follow gravity around the knee area. He also doesn't seem to have hips, but I can tell that's part of the original design, so it's probably a matter of gesture. The gesture of the lower torso needs to match up with the hips to create the desired look.

Finally, pose. The manga shot posted above seems to have a very dramatic pose, with tons of tension, reinforcing that the character is bad news. Your pose is very lifeless. The trick here is to put the hips at a different angle from the shoulders. These competing lines will create break points and edges in the anatomy, just like in the manga shot.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 12:55:50 pm by Gil »

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 03:45:47 pm
One thing about the anatomy of garou is that he is very lanky but also very muscled.  The way he is portrayed in this he seems to be thick and buff, he should be a lot thinner especially in the arms.  Finally because the costume of his is skin tight with the spandex type shirt every muscle of his should be defined and visible but not bulky.  The hair is a bit odd because if you look his hair is symmetrical where the height is the same on both sides whereas with yours his hair is much higher on the side pointed away from us.  The screen left side should be higher than screen right.  Other than that it looks awesome, great choice of character  (one punch man is probably the greatest manga out there in my opinion) :crazy:
Also just a silly idea is that maybe to add more interest he could have a poster of "Caped Baldy" in his hands as he laughs at it.
Edit 1 (tried it in more your style with same pose ((legs are quite hard to do in this pose i find)))
  Garou's eyes arent red and his pants arent baggy theyre skin tight same with everything else
Edit 2 (Different Pose kinda cheatsy doodly because i just referred the image)

Final note: If youve got reference use it ad youll make something much better, especially with an artist like One behind it with all that character there
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 05:16:11 pm by IrresponsibleFreelancer »
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 05:29:50 pm
@IrresponsibleFreelancer
Wow, everytime I look at your version and go back to my stuff, my sprite starts looking worse to me :P
How much time did you spend on creating those 2 sprites?
The poses are perfect, it would take forever for me to make something like this.

Anyway here's update I did before reading your post:
Kinda diffrent pose, colors, shading.
Tried making his arm muscles visible, also changed hair.

Is it any better now?

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 06:01:18 pm
One thing i wanted to add but ran out of space is that if youre doing a manga character they generally have their colours picked out and mangakas know their shit when it comes to colours.  For example with garous hair a common thing is to have that lighter blond type colour rather than a oversaturated yellow or a "grimy" yellow which happens when a yellow is desaturated and darkened (it turns green).  Finally because you asked it only took me about 30 minutes for the first cuz it was a fresh start and a bit longer for the second cuz it was an edit.  Also the way i work "fast" is that i do a lot of blocking in with a large brush before hand to make sure i have the right silhouette then i add the colours and go from there (im clearly not a pro so my workflow kinda sucks)  I do think the hair's shape is much better now especially with the addition of the messiness and fireyness of it.  Finally the legs that i did are pretty broken and so they arent very good (the thighs are bent weird in the first)

*Note: a great website i found for figure drawing/ gesture drawing that i think would help you out tons if you made a habit of it is http://www.quickposes.com  it is a good site for everyone because you can choose whether or not youre ok with nudity and you can set a time limit or not on the different poses. Also Proko is awesome and his youtube does an amazing job with teaching anatomy and Sycra on youtube has some really  good anatomy videos for major muscle groups and parts of the body.   :crazy:

** INFO DUMP  :o (in a singing voice) **

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 08:06:06 pm
Update:

1. Shading done my style
2. Shading more like IrresponsibleFreelancer sprite

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:19:08 pm by Dnilb »

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 08:19:39 pm
Yeah ima have to pick 2  :P
  The hair could still use a bit of fixing up especially colours choices are too saturated.  Hair should be a much lighter yellow and the shading of the hair should have more red in it so its a bit closer to being brown.  The eyes are still red grrrrr (unless thats a stylistic choice but if it is it doesnt show as garou very well) and the mouth is a bit too friendly being slightly rounded along with the head shape where the chin should be pointed.  Finally the pose is still a bit awkward with him not really doing anything other than flexing.  Its much better and i like the stomac a lot more now but make sure the legs arent noodles.  :crazy: