AuthorTopic: [C+C] Walc Dam  (Read 3861 times)

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

[C+C] Walc Dam

on: August 06, 2015, 03:02:18 pm
Pretty happy with the result this time around:

Are the proportions alright?

I see  problem with the palms, I don't know how to draw the the way I imagine them.
Something like this: http://i.imgur.com/ZIgcjlt.jpg
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 03:22:40 pm by Dnilb »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: [C+C] Walc Dam

Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 01:14:32 pm
If you're going to do a lot of these, I suggest you start studying anatomy. Proko.com has some good resources. Start off with gesture drawings, that seems to be the aspect most lacking.

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 12:08:59 am
Experimented alittle with him:

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 03:44:15 pm
This most recent edit that you did is considerably better than the last.  I find your biggest current problem for this piece is that you are using way to many colours and to much texture.  A problem that you seem to have in general is the gesture of a figure, this can readily be solved through practicing gesture drawing.  The reference image that you also added is in a completely different pose which is much more dramatic than the on that you have done.  Another problem is that your anatomy is slightly off of what it could and should be.  I am clearly no anatomical expert but just looking at it its easy to tell that some things just arent quite right.  Whenever you happen to notice this just look up reference, whenever youre not sure exactly what something is formed like look up reference or you wont get better and will continuosly practice mistakes.

Some more nitpicky details that i noticed are that on the face he should have like one more lock of hair to ensure that the eye is completely covered and you dont have to worry about having to add the tiniest bit of it.  There should be strong shadows on the face under his hair overhang.  Legs felt very awkward. Arms were held up in an uncomfortable way and some of the muscles were sculpted slightly wrong (ex: the upper arm should show the bicep for screen right not tricep which is what it seems you were trying to draw in there sort of.  The armor's design could use some reworking, the plates covering his pecs were much to small to actually be the size of the pectoral.

Quick Edit on original:

Edit based off reference:
*Im tryin but its hard  :crazy:*
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 07:45:53 pm
After a break, I came back to edit the first sprite for fun, heres the result:

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 09:15:11 pm
I've compiled some things in an image.

I must say that I don't have much anatomical knowledge, so I might be wrong on some of this.
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 06:20:56 pm
So here's the update:

I tried to improve all things from the post above.
Changed shading in some places + tried to make arms more muscular. But still I feel like hands don't look naturally (bends, elbows, palms)
Can anyone show me on this sprite as an example how to draw hands properly?

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 08:12:26 pm
You have very clearly gotten much better since the last time i saw your work but you are still making some of the same mistakes. 

The gesture is far better now than it was before but it still feels kind of stiff.  I like the pose but it is continuos throughout the whole body as it could and should be.

Sorry to call you on it but remember that website i pointed you to (i think) well i dont think you looked at it.  It was on folds of clothing.  If youre gonna try to add clothes to your characters knowing folds is necessary.  I did a shitty edit just to show you that the pants look very odd the way they are shaded.  They are kinda pillow shaded, if you were wondering why even with the seams and pockets the pants still didnt look that much like pants its because they are missing folds alltogether.  The shirt sleeves as well need folds (i dont think i added any in my edit though :P)

The anatomy is still a bit wonky.  For a small example in the forearm the mass is put in the middle in your drawing whereas generally the mass is closer to the elbow.  The positioning of the arms in relation to the shoulders is also a bit off bit a quick lasso move fixes that instantly.  The hands are amazing, no comment there.  The legs are a bit odd in their consistency of thickness (once again i dont think i fixed that in the edit) Look up reference and youll see your problem there instantly. 

There is some light banding but not enough to make it a huge problem.  For example the belt is kinda weak as well as the shine on the toe of the shoes, as well as the jaw.

Your colours have greatly improved since the last time as well.  Youre not using as many useless colours.  It may be a stylistic shoice but i dont personally like the black under the jaw. Proportions are much better as well as how your style has developped a lot in a good way.

Heres my shitty edit was pretty lazy cuz i only have a trackpad but moved some stuff around and tried to fix the pants and arms a little bit. 

If any of my critiques are dead wrong lemme know please so i dont do the same thing in my stuff.  :crazy:
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 01:43:01 pm
Your anatomy is still fairly off on this character.
I've taken account of your most recent edit and IrresponsibleFreelancer's as well, since they made some changes that adjusted but still did not fully correct the problems.

If you look at the original (your most recent edit) on the far left, you can see the skeletal wiring is out of proportion from one side to the next.  The character's right arm is longer while their right leg is shorter.  The pose could account for the leg perhaps but not the arms. Both portions of the arm are longer on the right side as you can see by the color associations I have marked.
IrresponsibleFreelancer's lengths are closer together on the arms.
On the first image I drew anchor lines for the head/neck and the shoulders to the floor.  You can also see the relationship of the knees with the position of the head this way by looking off of the dark green lines.  In order for a pose like this to work the shoulder, hip, and ankle of the right leg need to be lined up very closely or the character would simply fall over backwards.
You can see the angle of the shoulders with the head are very right side heavy as well.  The left side shoulder is much longer.  The angle and positioning of the head and neck suggest a backwards lean.

All of these things come together to make the character look as if he is falling over.

The best way to fix this aside from redrawing him, is to pull his anatomy into better alignment and then redraw that to make it work.

A very quick reallignment:
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232