AuthorTopic: [C+C] random character  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

[C+C] random character

on: August 01, 2015, 06:37:24 pm
One of my first pixel arts, shading is not done yet, I posted it to know if the proportions and other stuff seem alright.

In my opinion hair is weird, any advice how to improve it?

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] random character

Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 01:39:18 am
Welcome to Pixelation Dnilb.

I actually like the hair. The skull is pretty close. The biggest issues are the eyes, nose and mouth.
The general relationship is that the tip of the nose will be halfway between the eyes and the chin.
The mouth is not nearly so wide, the creases of it will only ever extend to the pupils.
The eyes are more than twice as large as they should be. I've kept one eye to show the difference.
It's really the socket that takes up that whole area. The actual opening is quite small, yet the pupil gives the illusion of it being larger.
In human eyes, irises extend to the bottom lid and take up almost all of the space, not so much white shows.

The color you've started shading with is too cautious, it may as well be the same color. Try to get some contrast, make stronger statements with your colors.
The headband wouldn't cast a shadow on the forehead like that, as it's pressed against the head and is thin.
The shoulders need to be much larger, even wider than I have them.
Once the left eye is sized properly you'll see that the ear needs to come in more; as is it implies a very wide skull in this 3/4 view.

Something along these lines.

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 12:40:34 pm
Here's update

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 11:26:13 pm
Alright so i got super carried away (and cheated with the liquify tool and thats why its so stupidly anti aliased) but hopefully there is something to learn from it about skull structure even though i lost all of your style.  Also the hair almost looks pillow shaded whereas its much easier to get a hair look when you make a crown of sorts on the head where the highlights will be. (sorry but apparently hes like 40 now and his eyes are miffed up)
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 02:31:12 am
shading is not done yet
honestly I think ur better off starting with a smaller canvas like at least half the size.
then try to follow a process of planar construction for the skull/face (get a book or google "planar construction face" for heaps of resources).

You'll end up with a much better result than trying to line-art things like ur doing now.

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 02:42:50 pm
Update:
Fixed everything overall, I tried to use the shading method from IrresponsibleFreelancer.
Your versions of my sprite make character look serious, which I tried to avoid, I hope it looks good:

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 05:05:45 pm
I agree with Decroded, you should go with smaller resolution cause at this point it's closer to low res pencil drawing than to pixel art. I'm not saying that pixel art can't be done on bigger resolutions but to make it look proper you need a lot of time and experience. Drawing in lower resolution will save you time, you will have more control and result will be same or better.