AuthorTopic: what is the best tool for pixelation?  (Read 25394 times)

Offline blackthirteen

• View Profile

Re: what is the best tool for pixelation?

Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 11:16:01 pm
Just use MS paint.  It never gives you those odd lines and its a pretty good program.  It is also on most computers.

The problem is that I'm obligated to use Adobe Photoshop 7.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 11:18:12 pm
If you're trying to be pro. Use pro motion. Learn it well. Buy it and love it. Nothing beats it right now in the PC market.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 11:18:36 pm
Tell them it is too difficult to complete the given task with that program.  When a free programs work better for this project.
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline OBCT

• View Profile
    • Indreams Studios: Bounty

Reply #13 on: September 01, 2005, 11:18:55 pm
What they don't know won't hurt them. ;)

If the lines bother you that much (They would for me), draw in MSPaint, then c&p into Photoshop. :P

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 01, 2005, 11:25:33 pm
crap crap and double crap.  no.  DONT USE THE LINE TOOL. DON'T COPY AND PASTE LINES FROM MSPAINT. use the pencil tool on a single pixel setting, click for the start of the line, press and hold shift and click for end of line, doing this will draw real lines not the doubled lines (the line tool is geared towards anti-aliasing long straight lines and doesn't do well with it off, the pencil tool is not).

If you're trying to be pro. Use pro motion. Learn it well. Buy it and love it. Nothing beats it right now in the PC market.

I second helm.  My last piece here was using promotion.  I lub it dearly.  It really is good for pixelart.  It is missing a few things, but is good anyhow.

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #15 on: September 01, 2005, 11:27:01 pm
Graphics Gale - It is apparently great, and is in Japanese or something, which turns me off slightly.  It helps to be able to read a menu.

Huh? You can't even change Graphics Gale to Japanese. It is in english.

No program is the best program, thats why we have thousands. Just mess with each one to get a feel for what you want. There is a program for everyone.

I don't like big, clunky programs with tons of buttons so I just use Graphics Gale or MS Paint.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 11:30:23 pm by Darion »
@darionmccoy

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 01, 2005, 11:38:22 pm
Darion:  I disagree respectfully.  Software can be superior in its function and design, as can a car.  You must be able to clearly define what you personally need from a program however.

I was just going by the Graphics Gale site, which has screenshot of japanese text.  I was told by someone that this is the case as well (downloading now by the way)

Photoshop is not big and clunky, no more than a ferrari is compared to a mini.  Ferraris are larger, more powerful, more refined, better handling, more expensive, look better, go faster and... people still like minis.  Not because they are mechanically equal, but because people are emotional creatures.

use the force.  use telepathic pixelling, or MSPaint. 

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #17 on: September 01, 2005, 11:41:28 pm
I agree with Darion in that there is no single best program, but for myself, MSPaint has everything I need but animation support. Line and fill is all I use in paint, sometimed the paintbrush to make silouhettes. {sp!?} I had the GGale trial version a while ago, and it was good, (what I used to make my avatar), but the trial ran out and bleh.

Offline blackthirteen

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 01, 2005, 11:48:18 pm
crap crap and double crap.  no.  DONT USE THE LINE TOOL. DON'T COPY AND PASTE LINES FROM MSPAINT. use the pencil tool on a single pixel setting, click for the start of the line, press and hold shift and click for end of line, doing this will draw real lines not the doubled lines (the line tool is geared towards anti-aliasing long straight lines and doesn't do well with it off, the pencil tool is not).

thank you lief you saved my life for that matter.

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #19 on: September 01, 2005, 11:58:22 pm
It depends on what you see as "big and clunky". Most programs appear to be confusing and full of tons of features until you have used it for years, and you are familiar with everything. I don't want to take months and months to learn how to 'draw again'. When I want to draw, I just want to get down to it and draw; I don't want anything to automatically change something after i've drawn it and having to look through tons of options to figure out how to turn it off.

Some people do not like programs crammed with tons of features, and some programs are more superior in different features. You might have a big ass program that does everything, but then you have the people that aren't comfortable with big ass programs.

Ugh ... I hate debating.
@darionmccoy