AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C]My first pixel sprite!  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Uhfgood

• View Profile

[WIP][C+C]My first pixel sprite!

on: August 01, 2015, 06:47:57 pm
Okay well it's not my absolute first, but maybe the first time I really focused my attention.  You can C+C although I'm not posting it here for that reason, more just to see what you guys think of it.  I'm also posting it here because of that neat feature where you can click on it and it will enlarge in size, since my browser won't do it itself.

Basically I'm making a game you can check out here : http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=48414.msg1163113#msg1163113

Came from an idea I had when I doodled a sketch of this little brain with eyeballs and legs and not much else.

So I'm finally getting to the point of building the game art at least to a point, as there's still a lot of things to do in code.  But I figured I would start with a 2-color sprite and then add in colors later.  Trying to decide whether to color now and then animate (quicker than the following), or do all my animations in 2-color and then color them in afterward, which would take more time but might be more flexible.  Anyways I would like to know what you think.  Thank you.

Edit 8/03/2015:

I didn't want to violate the rules by posting another similar post and have it mistaken for a double-post.  I decided to start coloring it in now and while it's not immediately clear what it is I'm really unsure of how to proceed.  He's got eyeballs and eye stalks attached to a brain which are attached to legs, and he wears yellow shoes.  I don't have the faintest idea of how to actually make it look good.  There are 6 colors in the sprite but that's mostly due to the outline (line art).  Someone suggested the size is too small to get a decent sprite out of it.  Any way, any suggestions on how to improve it?  Thanks for your time.

Edit 2:
I changed the colors a bit and elongated the eyes.  It doesn't necessarily look like a brain but I figured brains are really just gray any way why not make it that way.  Color change was prompted by a comment that made me think twice about what I was spriting.

X2:

Edit 3 8/04/2015:

Tried a new design here:

X2:

Edit 4 8/08/2015:

Updated colors and eyeballs

X2:

Edit 5 8/08/2015:

I tried to redo him based on your suggestions Joe, I'm not sure I got it 100% but at least it's going in the right direction.

Edit 6 8/08/2015:

Created a new palette but doesn't work so well with this.  If anyone could do a paint-over of this, with it's palette, I would appreciate it.

Edit 7 8/10/2015:

Did another iteration, still not as good, but decided to put a bright outline around the dark outline so it would read on a black/dark background.

--

I wanted to give you an idea of what the bright verses non-bright outlines look like on a dark background

Edit 8:
An even newer palette and I redid him again, and this is pretty good except the legs seem a little long and takes away abit from the cuteness factor.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:27:56 pm by Uhfgood »

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C]My first pixel sprite!

Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 04:59:21 pm
Hey, been meaning to comment on this. I wasn't sure what you were going for with the 2 color sprite but I have a better idea now.
I checked out your game, since Hypno-Joe is probably going to be on a dark background and is the main character sprite, it could benefit from a black outline.
I gave the pupils a little AA, and pushed the back leg to the back, through overlapping and coloring.

Second, I can't look at him and understand he's a brain. I gave him more brainy colors, and the attachments are darker colored, not lighter. I tried to emphasize the pinkness of a brain, but you could probably find better colors.
But a good rule of thumb is keep them saturated.
Also, no need to post 2x versions here; there's a built-in script with which you can click or shift-click images to zoom ;)

Offline Uhfgood

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C]My first pixel sprite!

Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 05:35:51 pm
Wow thanks for actually replying.

I guess technically brain's are gray, but we always picture them and see them drawn with a pink tinge. 

Yeah it's not really obvious that he's a brain, and I guess unless you got a good close up that looked like a real brain you wouldn't really know any way unless I told you.

Your edit is totally what I'm going for actually, I just kind of suck at pushing pixels around, I'm a little better with pencil and paper.

As far as the 2x I just wanted to have an existing double size so you could get an idea at first glance before clicking on it, and most people who haven't visited before have no idea you can click on an image.  Anyways I guess I'll just leave it at 1x from here on out

Thanks again!