AuthorTopic: An evil bandit boss  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Fireball24

• View Profile

An evil bandit boss

on: July 29, 2015, 07:48:49 pm

So I am not that good at pixel art and I made this character but his arms... or the whole lower part of his body is not that good but I dont really know what to do the make it better.

Help would be appreciated :)

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Re: An evil bandit boss

Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 08:08:55 pm
Stop using lineart so much. I can tell your process is 'draw lines, then fill in textures as an afterthought'. Your work looks really flat because of that.

Think in terms of volumes foremost and outlines secondary. To render a volume, you have to use value- that is, you have to draw any given object with shades that change more dramatically than what you've got going on here. Your arms and lower body look bad because you're not thinking volumetrically; the horizontal gradient stripes are literally a texture-fill that doesn't take into any account the context into which it was placed. Similarly, your arms are just long stripes, that don't show any anatomy or muscular information. (Bandits are big and muscular, right?)

Also, have you considered the perspective here? What exactly is the camera angle doing? I can't tell if the silhouettes behind our infamous bandit are people wading in a lake or ghosts floating in the air, because you drew the background as if we're looking at it from above, but you've drawn the character as if we're looking at him from below. It's really weird, and it confuses the viewer.

Offline Fireball24

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 08:32:01 pm
Thanks for pointing out all the stuff I will try to work on it, although I am not sure how to start when making a picture. I usually set stuff for myself by those lines and then start detailing but I dont really know how to start without them...

PS: Sorry if I didnt understand something right English isnt my main language
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:45:54 pm by Fireball24 »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 02:53:51 am
for art this size, if u don't have a wacom then try sketching the figure on paper and scanning it then paint completely over the top (I use layers on photoshop or u can use gimp).
I usually paint directly with pixels these days but sketching first will probably make things easier.
when painting, don't paint within lines.
imo its better to paint without lines then add selective outlines here and there in appropriate places rather than everywhere on every single detail.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 04:39:26 am
A cool concept but the execution needs a lot of work.
This a pretty manageable size, the problem is the process and how experienced you are with it.

Quick redo of that:

Process shots:

There are a lot of ways to start an image, some of these are more feasible/faster than others depending on the content, but in the end you want to arrive a good result. This one had no lines, no tablet, just started with 4 colors and built it up.
IMO, you should go back to fundamentals, study lighting, composition, use lotsa refs for your image (inspiration?)
There is lots of good stuff at the tips & tricks thread, I'll drop a few tutorials here as well.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:50:28 am by pistachio »

Offline Fireball24

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 07:43:53 am
Wow thanks a lot. I indeed dont have a tablet but this helped a lot :)