AuthorTopic: [C+C] Title Screen Conundrums  (Read 10792 times)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

[C+C] Title Screen Conundrums

on: July 29, 2015, 07:45:35 pm
Hello guys!

I have no experience making title screens or compositions in general. On the other hand, I am under the impression that a title screen can make or break a game (to some extent).

So I need help with just about anything. Mostly composition from the pros, who can guide me in the right direction.

1st version:

2nd version:

3rd version:

Should I stick to one font or should I use many?

The idea is to have the main character sit on a top of ruined robots. He is blowing the smoke of his volt gun.

Am I along the right path here?

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Title Screen Conundrums

Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 08:14:07 pm
Your colors are all over the place. Like, it seems like every single robot has its own color palette, and the result is that the image feels more like a collage- or a deviantart-tier sprite comic- than a coherent singular screen. Heck, even your font is made of different configurations clashing with each other. Fire text, cookiedough text, metal text- pick something and stick to it, I'd say.

Work the title screen as a whole, I'd suggest. Rather than focusing on individual robots, layout the palette and shadows and highlights in big general blobs first, and definitely try to unite the palette a bit more.

Instead of thinking of the pile as a bunch of robots, think of it as one big macro-entity composed of robot-shaped granules? Treat it as a painting, rather than a collage.

Most of this advice is mindset-stuff rather than actual design tips, unfortunately, so I understand if you don't find it that helpful.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 10:47:11 pm
firstly what is the resolution of the game?
You've got 2 res here so not sure which is more appropriate.

I'm not a fan of any of these compositions so it's good u haven't developed them too far.
All the elements are broken up and priority is all over the place.

I think its good to tell some kind of story on a title screen that is relevant to the game's content.
perhaps tell us more about the character and the elements here.
is the hair dryer a weapon?
is the cigar significant?
whats the deal with the robots etc?

I'm thinking u have the character up fairly close and we use hair dryer cord and cigar smoke to make some interesting lines to create drama.
its good if the hero takes priority after the text and then there's stuff happening in the background like perhaps we see the evil robolord commanding his bots into battle or whatever.

its also maybe a good idea if the scene works with and without the text so u can show the screen then drop in the text to dominate the screen but don't stress about that if its too much to think about.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 06:17:19 pm
firstly what is the resolution of the game?
You've got 2 res here so not sure which is more appropriate.

640x480.

is the hair dryer a weapon?
is the cigar significant?
whats the deal with the robots etc?

The main character is the toaster. The hair dryer is an enemy.

There's no cigar, he's blowing the smoke off the power chord arm, his weapon  :P.

The robots are his enemies.

its good if the hero takes priority after the text and then there's stuff happening in the background like perhaps we see the evil robolord commanding his bots into battle or whatever.

The main bad guy, is Doctor Dough, a slob of dough.

I had done this before reading your reply:

I'd like the bad guy to be in the shadows behind, with his hands creeping like he's about to grab Pan (the slice of bread in the toaster).

I'm thinking u have the character up fairly close and we use hair dryer cord and cigar smoke to make some interesting lines to create drama.

I don't understand how to do this. Could you do a rough edit please ?

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 06:16:34 pm
Sorry im not good enough to do an edit but i can point out some problems i see with the hands.  The pinky is the same size if not bigger than the middle finger which makes no sense, the pinky is also weirdly in front of the ring finger if you look at it.  Finally the thumbs final digit is too long and thin.  This is easy to figure out if you just look at your own hand as you sketch it out.  They all look good (and i personally would stck to the toaster font for the whole title cuz it looks awesome but watch your colours make sure they go well together use a colour wheel if you have to and worry about staying faithful to the colours of each character later or not at all. :crazy:
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 06:53:50 pm
Thanks for the feedback!

Is this any better?

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 10:33:43 pm
So it's been over a week and I thought I'd share an update, too quiet around this here place.  :blind:

I think it's starting to shape up.

Again, criticism is very encouraged.  :y:

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 02:51:11 am
This is the title screen, but there doesn't seem to be a way to start the game, are you taking that into account?
What you have is way too busy. You need to think about visual priority and clarity of idea.
I didn't touch the chrome font but as is it's too intense, too attention grabbing.
Also, how did you not think of this bread font???

Simplify! Or, draw everything out beforehand... but the more complex you want it, the harder it's gonna be to manage competing elements.
Who is the star of the show? Well, he's being drowned out by everything else. If you squint your eyes and noone told you where to look, you'd think the black guy is the main character.
If I understand correctly, this isn't actually a game, you're just practicing title screens right?
He needs a more dynamic pose, something like this. I know that's a villain but the pose is still valid.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:53:02 am by Joe »

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 04:19:06 am
My biggest concern with the composition isn't simply the competing elements all struggling against each other but the contrasting style of the elements themselves.

The chromed "Super Toaster Guy" portion is incredibly controlled when compared to everything else on the page. So much so that it makes every other element appear to be of considerably lesser quality.

Another thing that catches my eye is the angle of the lighting/shadows on the chromed Title isn't consistent with the lighting shading of the elements that are set directly on it.
The shadows cast down and to the left behind.  The sprites sit on top it but their shading is to the right.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 08:38:54 pm
@Joe:
Back in the days, you had a title screen first then you'd press a key to get to the options like "new games" and stuff. So this is how this is going to work too.

Quote from: Joe
Also, how did you not think of this bread font???
I guessed you must've missed my first message in the thread  :lol:.

It's a real game, not practice.

Basically, I tried to give more space to Pan (the toaster) in this version and more perspective too.

@Johasu: I'll need to make sure the rest of the other elements end up being up par then!

Here's the new version, still wip but making progress:

Any better?