AuthorTopic: How Much Should I charge for a 92x92 Pixel Sprite Art?  (Read 4263 times)

Offline zainyboykhan

• View Profile
I have a clinet who needs 6 pixel sprites in a style which I have attached. He has asked me to say the rate that I will charge. Now I am not sure How much to charge him as he has not revealed the estimate budget that he has in his mind for this. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but I really wanted to know the rate that I must charge as ASAP
Thank you for all those who will help :)

(I apologize for the image being small. I can attach more images if you would like)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: How Much Should I charge for a 92x92 Pixel Sprite Art?

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 09:28:51 am
There's been a million threads like these in the past. It depends on how long you worked on this. It also depends on your experience. There's probably numbers you shouldn't accept at all. If the number quoted is a million dollars, you better take it.

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 03:25:39 am
92 x 92 = 8,464

8,464 x 6 = 50,784

50,784 / 8 = 6,348

6,348 / 100 = 63.48

$63.48 each

??? ???

But seriously, just estimate the amount of hours you think each one takes. To estimate your hourly rate, most freelancer / designer manuals say that you should imagine your ideal yearly salary, and divide it thusly:

yearly / 52 / 5 / 8 = hourly

So if you want to be on $60k, your hourly fee is $28.84.

Then times that by the work and round up to nearest whole number. There is your project fee.

If you think it's going to take 3 hours per piece, and there are 6 of them, your project fee is $520
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 03:33:12 am by hawken »
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 12:28:00 pm
Ah yes, Hawken, starting from yearly salary seems perfect.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 02:00:00 pm
Quote from: Hawken

Unrealistic.
There are public holidays and holidays in general. Normal working times include ~42 weeks/work per year.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 02:06:37 pm
Sure, but you can't really ask your client to pay for your holidays, can you? Besides, most freelancers don't have the luxury of that much vacation time.

Offline zainyboykhan

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 02:17:39 pm
92 x 92 = 8,464

8,464 x 6 = 50,784

50,784 / 8 = 6,348

6,348 / 100 = 63.48

$63.48 each

??? ???

But seriously, just estimate the amount of hours you think each one takes. To estimate your hourly rate, most freelancer / designer manuals say that you should imagine your ideal yearly salary, and divide it thusly:

So if you want to be on $60k, your hourly fee is $28.84.

Then times that by the work and round up to nearest whole number. There is your project fee.

If you think it's going to take 3 hours per piece, and there are 6 of them, your project fee is $520
Thank you hawken

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 04:42:47 pm
Sure, but you can't really ask your client to pay for your holidays, can you? Besides, most freelancers don't have the luxury of that much vacation time.

It's up to every freelancer to lead his own business. How the business is led must not be of any concern to anyone except the individual leading it.

There are laws regarding working time.
And why would you freelance as a professional in any job, if you could do a job like cleaning toilets, which doesn't need any skill and can be done by anyone, is paid better and has less working hours plus paid vacation?

And a professional freelancer also has to come up for stuff the company usually does, like taxes, writing mails etc - which is a ton of work which also plays in the workload.

If one doesn't want to charge anything for writing mails, making his taxes, answering e-mails, doing the work, taking care of the own electricity etc. the company usually pays and let's that flow in his rates, it's that person's business.

Don't make absolute rules "what you can" and  "what you can't". Leave it just as information here to consider and lead your own business as you want.

If some people love to feel miserable and can't pay for all the stuff they have to because they charge to low, it's their problem.
If some people can't get jobs because they charge to high it's their very own problem too.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 04:52:44 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter