AuthorTopic: What did you do?  (Read 3767 times)

Offline Krizmo

• Yes, that is me.
    • View Profile

What did you do?

on: August 31, 2006, 10:32:58 am
As you may or may not know, I am starting up pixelling again, and needed some input from the great people of Pixelopolis.

I was wondering what I should focus more on while getting into pixel art to develop my skills. I have started doing colouring first, because lineart is my weak point. This being said, I know that I should probably be working on my lineart skills, but it seems that everytime I try, the work comes out completely different to what I had intended and I end up getting angry and inserting a grenade into my PC and exploding it. Alright, maybe not to that extent, but it is frustrating.

So, what did you start off with? Did you do anything in particular, or did you just do pixelling in general? And where do you think would be the best place to start?

Thanks for your time!

-Krizmo
Look for your friends, but do not trust a hope. It is forsaken these lands....

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: What did you do?

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 01:11:47 am
The one way to increase your overall art in any digital media is to return to paper and get traditional art down. If your lineart is messed up it's probably due to lack of anatomical knowledge/making what you think it should look like rather than what it does look like. If you're not doing well with inanimate objects, draw/paint some still lifes (lives?). If you're having trouble with organic things get some anatomy books. I've got Encyclopedia Anatomicae, and it has helped immensely.

That being said, when you pixel for accuracy and realism, try to have a reference for the object you're making, either at your desk or in a picture. If you're making something unrealistic, try to have a basic knowledge of the object you're caracturizing or the material it's made of.

Zoning in even more to the question you actually asked, try making lineart then coloring it in 4color greyscale. That way, you improve not only your lineart, but your coloring as well. I mean, sure the actual choice of colors is important, but you can work on that after you get down the ability to make apparent forms with just 4 colors.

Offline Krizmo

• Yes, that is me.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 11:27:40 am
Thanks for that, Xion. It helps.

I have been dabbling in traditional art for a few years now, although I'm rather horrible at that, too. But I am friends with "Yuhkaz", you may remember him from Pixelation, and he can teach me a few things.

Also, Me = no spare time. =/ So I think once school is done in a few weeks I will knuckle down on my pixel art and try to improve as much as I possibly can.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 09:26:48 am
Also, Me = no spare time. =/ So I think once school is done in a few weeks I will knuckle down on my pixel art and try to improve as much as I possibly can.

You should probibly just doodle then for the mean time, in school ect. Improve your skills and also generate some ideas.

Best of luck.

Offline Krizmo

• Yes, that is me.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 10:39:24 am
Hehe, thanks Skull. I might just do that!