AuthorTopic: [WIP] Podracer  (Read 3407 times)

Offline RadicalDreamer

• View Profile

[WIP] Podracer

on: July 16, 2015, 07:42:20 am

_
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 06:40:20 am by RadicalDreamer »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Podracer

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 01:20:32 pm
hi welcome.
I won't look into the design accuracy I'll just let u what's obvious at a glance.
You're piece suffers first from lack of a good/any distinct light source. Just like flash photography is ugle the spotlight from camera (or pillow-shading) u sort of have now is the best way to flatten
ur forms and make it look boring.

forget details, offset ur light source and paint in the forms.

Lose the dithering its ugly.
Many people seem to think dithering is something u just do everywhere but it should be controlled and used skilfully (study henk neiborg's work) or not at all (perfectly acceptable).

Too many boring grey lines... they're everywhere.
Try removing all the lines and just let the light and shade define the shapes.
They're very simple shapes so it should be easy.
For sprites we generally limit outlines to the outside of the sprite to help separate it against a range of backgrounds.
sometimes I have an outline here and there inside a sprite but not very often.
If this is not a sprite then really, remove all ur outlines.
don't obsess over details sometimes less is more and once u achieve a good base there's some simple tricks to cram on more detail.
It's an easy trap to keep getting sucked into detail work after u think you've made improvements but I encourage u to post ur early progress and document the process ur using.
And remember details look better when used selectively against less detailed areas.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 02:06:06 pm
I agree with Decroded. Lose the dither, focus on volume. Currently, it looks like a cardboard-cutout.

The linework seems okay-ish, certainly good enough as a starting point, so it's mostly the shading that creates this problem.

Just because it's important, I'll repeat it again: lose the dither.

Offline RadicalDreamer

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 10:21:11 pm
_
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 06:40:34 am by RadicalDreamer »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 10:39:34 pm
New edit is a good starting point.

Humble Bundle has Spriter Pro this week, together with Cosmigo Promotion and Spritelamp. If you want something like this in a game, I suggest you grab it.

Use sprite lamp to dynamically generate shadows, which fixes the issue of the light being adjustable. Use Spriter Pro to animate it, which will make it a breeze. I think Spriter Pro has mesh deformation, which will even allow you to rotate the ship on its side.

Here's something I did, similar to how Spritelamp works

Offline RadicalDreamer

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 11:07:59 pm

Humble Bundle has Spriter Pro this week, together with Cosmigo Promotion and Spritelamp. If you want something like this in a game, I suggest you grab it.

Use sprite lamp to dynamically generate shadows, which fixes the issue of the light being adjustable. Use Spriter Pro to animate it, which will make it a breeze. I think Spriter Pro has mesh deformation, which will even allow you to rotate the ship on its side.

What's suppose to happen on that link? I don't think it's working for me. I just see a blurry static image  ???
Checking it on on youtube. Pretty cool  :P I was considering doing something a similar way, maybe not really, but sorta where I just shade the whole image in grayscale, then worry about colorizing  it later.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 11:12:44 pm by RadicalDreamer »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 11:13:30 pm

What's suppose to happen on that link? I don't think it's working for me. I just see a blurry static image  ???
works fine even on my phone.
I snapped I up sprite lamp too haven't had a chance to use it but didn't want to miss out on that package since I'm hopeless at shaders.

in regards to the sprite its better.
Now u have obvious staircase banding at the front of the pod where u sit.
and the lines between the pod and the engines has jaggies.
with the force being applied it should be straight lines.
the energy between the engines looks too square but I haven't checked any references.

Offline RadicalDreamer

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 11:41:57 pm
_
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 06:40:44 am by RadicalDreamer »

Offline RadicalDreamer

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 05:37:40 am
_
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 06:40:50 am by RadicalDreamer »