AuthorTopic: Line weight variation comp. :O  (Read 3192 times)

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Line weight variation comp. :O

on: July 14, 2015, 06:33:57 pm
I haven't done tits in awhile so I thought I'd put something together.

Not really look for critique at this point, just wanted a place to jot down my thoughts. Of course critique is always welcome, especially if you see some glaring problem I've gone blind too.

The idea behind the composition is to mess around with line weight variation in pixel art. Something I've not seen at in pixel art aside from some stuff PixelPileDriver shared with me a few months ago. (So if you know of any please share.)

Everything is still pretty rough. I've found myself using a combination of line art and blobs in my workflow lately. Kinda interesting to see how that has all evolved.

Harley was done without a reference, I used a ref for batman though, as I had a heck of a time trying to get that position down.
Huge possibility I'll scale this image up to really take advantage of line weight.

Also don't mind the color count, I forgot to turn off AA for selection and scaling so I've got a lot of random colors I need to clean up

First of many Edits:
Changes to Harley

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:53:42 pm by lachrymose »

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Re: Line weight variation comp. :O

Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 07:07:00 am
Looks like an ambitious piece  :y:

Some quick thoughts on the character positions and poses:

I assumed she is holding a broken bottle (that's what it looks like to me anyway), so i had some bloody shards in the strike path with one or two lodged in his neck.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 12:40:23 am
Awesome as always Wolfenoctis  :y:

Looking at your edit I realized I was missing a lot of gesture. Which is kinda weird because I felt that the pose was a lot stronger when I had drawn in out in PS initially. Once I scaled down and started pixeling a lot of gesture was lost.

I also liked the idea of movement so I messed around all day and came up with another edit.

Going to put her on roller-blades, like she whacked batman over the head with a hammer and came back around to taunt him.

The weapon she is/will be holding is her comically large hammer.

Her hammer was supposed to be rested on her shoulders. Thinking of changing it to attack position, similar to wolfs'
EDIT:

EDIT: Need to fix her legs, a little bit short.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 04:00:23 am by lachrymose »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 12:58:39 am
I feel like you're working within a very small range of line weight.
I'd suggest to use a process that leans towards more line and less paint in the early stages.
Not only will it help you construct dimensional forms, as wolfenoctis has done quite nicely.
It will also help you integrate the meaning of the lines from the start.
Use properties of the lines to have greater affect on how it is viewed.

Your piece can also benefit from line interaction.
Most of the lines you've put down don't touch, and exist within their own space.
Use overlapping lines to show forms, space, weight, direction,etc.

I don't have time to do an edit on your piece.
Here's an art I've been working on that applies what I'm saying:

You don't have to have such a high range of weight.
But start with construction and line purpose.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 01:39:08 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 02:30:29 am
I hear ya, I call it a line weight composition but I'm short on lines.

I had a hard time really varying the line weight until I got to an uncomfortable resolution, especially when it comes to the finer curves an stuff on the human body.
So I had thought to go ahead and scale back a bit then "reverse engineer" the lines using selout and AA.

EDIT: I feel like I should push her left arm back further?
|

At some point I flattened everything. :[
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 04:22:32 pm by lachrymose »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 09:21:33 am
its really awkward how she's standing with her butt sticking out and batman is very stiff.
also looks like perspective is broken between the 2 figures like batman's rear foot occupies same space as her right foot.

Look again at wolfie's sketch there's so much more gesture, balance and the figures interact with each other.

Perhaps even experiment with a more interesting perspective for example instead of from the side we could for example see up from below batman's chin with harley towering menacingly above.