AuthorTopic: [C+C][WIP] Robot Character and Animation  (Read 1992 times)

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

[C+C][WIP] Robot Character and Animation

on: July 13, 2015, 10:33:14 am
Hello all! Posted this over in the pixel art section but I think it would behoove me to post it here too.

So I'm working with some mates on a 16-bit Mega Man type game. I created what I've called Brainbot and I've started animating it. I'll be honest, this is unrelated but I'm having second thoughts about this brain/tank section of the robot and would like to change it. I don't want to change much, just turn it into some sort of simple robot or eye cyclops face. Brainbot doesn't seem very Mega Man-esque unfortunately! I'd really appreciate any feedback on the character design and pixeling but I'm mainly here for animation critique.

So I've created one full idle animation and I'm working on a dash punch animation. I'd really love some feedback on both. Playing Mega Man X - X3, I see a lot of bosses have minimal but expressive frames of animation. I've got more attacks and more characters to create so I'd like to be efficient just how Capcom was. I'm also inspired by Street Fighter 2's animation, a lot of cool quick 3 frame animations.

Here's my current wip animation for the dash punch. It's 22 frames and I'll have to draw the robot in 3 different positions, not including the idle position. My post on the other board has an older version of the animation. So I feel the frames after the punch, especially where the robot goes back to the idle animation aren't looking as good as they could be. What does everyone else think?

Here are two different idle animation. The second one has an older version of the character. 6 frames each. Which one is better? Neither? What can I do to improve it? I like the first one but don't like how the arms jitter at a similar rate.

One thing I foresee as a problem. The robot has two unique arms. I'll have to make unique sprites for  when it's looking in either direction right? I guess I don't really haaave to do that but it's be gnawing it me for some time. I've created the robot in pieces so maybe it'll just be a small amount of extra work. Anyway, thanks for reading!