AuthorTopic: [C&C][WIP] A to Z Game, Chapter Title Image  (Read 4632 times)

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

[C&C][WIP] A to Z Game, Chapter Title Image

on: May 12, 2015, 07:58:41 pm
It's been a while since I've made a topic, but as it's the summer and I'll have some free time, I want to get working on a project of mine:

Title screen
It started as a Christmas present that I want to develop further, and as I'm working alone I'd love some outside feedback.
Some screenshots here (that use an in-game lighting system, so they're not quite the best for adaptation:

The player controls both the A and the Z simultaneously, with the horizontal movement of the Z being inverted. It's a simple puzzle/planning type game, and I've been working on and off on it for a while now.

And, for adaptation and other things, here's the actual tileset for the floor

So I guess I'd be looking for general feedback, as well as a way to really vary the visual structure of the levels to provide a more rich atmosphere and less of a plain, flat one.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 06:20:04 pm by FRAWG »

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Re: A to Z Game - C&C, working on tiles

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 04:54:35 am
Shameless bump with an update:

I've been working on adding some depth and shadowing to the walls/floors. I think some variance on the walls are necessary, this is just a start.

I've also been wanting to change up the flooring without being too distracting from the other game elements, but I'm a bit unsure how I'm going to go about it. Additionally, the bright pentagram and circle are meant to appear to be magical (or, at least, that they interact with the  players A + Z in some way).

Any tips for improvement here? Looking into whatever I can do to make it look better

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 12:02:25 am
Bumping because I'm still working and looking for some opinions.
Update on the random mock level from earlier:

New area: The theater. Kinda looks a bit too much like the library, but I'm not sure how I'll get around fixing it yet

Offline Amorphous

• AmorphousPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43158.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 04:21:40 am
This is looking great, FRAWG! You deserve better critique than I can give, but whatever!

I made you a really messy edit on the first mockup (some of things apply to the the other mockup, others are less relevant). Here are the main points, as I see them:

-The floor has a really well-executed texture and is pretty distinctive, but my immediate thought is that I would stub my toe every five seconds if I were walking around in the room. Maybe try toning down the contrast between the highlight and shadow to decrease the perceived sticking-out of the boards? Some areas already do this really nicely, too, especially towards the left of the room. In case it's any help, here are a bunch of wood board references -- most are from Frogatto, plus a piece by Cyangmou:

-I used filters to play around with increasing the brightness and saturation and shifting the hue more towards red. This could be a stylistic choice, but I think your colors could do with a little more pop.

-The planes of the tables/shelves could use more contrast to add more form; they look a tiny bit flat right now.

I wish I could be more thorough, but that's all I've got for the moment. I hope this helps, and good luck with this whole project!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 10:00:11 am
i agree with those value changes perhaps even go stronger contrast and add single pixel highlights on the top-front of those shelves etc.

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Re: [C&C][WIP] A to Z Game, Chapter Title Image

Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 06:21:24 pm
Bumping to show some progress on something new:

Working on a title card for each separate chapter of the game, starting with the library. I know this is far from perfect (and far from finished), so rip it to shreds! Planning on adding more bookcases in the background and books littered throughout.