AuthorTopic: I could use some help with coloring this ie. highlight shade hue etc.  (Read 5959 times)

Offline krbri

• View Profile
Hello, I'm working on this small character. He is kind of a squire or serf with a sword. I'm getting the hang of doing the base character and filling in the flats, but this will be my first piece that I actually color and highlight. I have always just done pencil sketches and inking. So any advice on this would be very helpful to me.

So far my choice of light source would be straight from right to left and maybe a glint on the sword. My choice of colors are just a rough estimate and there is no detail on the pants, but it should be simple, and not armor or anything like that.

I was thinking of a chainmail undershirt, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Last thing is dithering. I assume this piece is way too small for serious dithering, so I'm not sure how to blend it.

So again, any advice, thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 04:33:54 pm by krbri »

Offline krbri

• View Profile
I followed all the directions in posting an image, any suggestions why it does not show up? I used img tags and I'm using imgur.com. Here is a direct link.

ok i figured it out, i was posting to the image page not the image. Sorry.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:17:54 pm by krbri »

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile
Uhhhh.....

Offline krbri

• View Profile
I'm not sure what you mean by uhhh. What is the problem?

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile
Your image still isn't showing.

Offline krbri

• View Profile
Here is an update. It shows up correctly here. Maybe you need to refresh.

and another quick update

The dithering on his left side shirt is very rough, I'm not sure how to better blend it. I'm using aseprites default palette so I'm trying to limit how many additional colors I add. I will try to translate it to Dawnbringers 16 color palette maybe DB32.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:16:54 pm by krbri »

Offline krbri

• View Profile
My inexperience with this made me overlook something. By default I was using Dawnbringers 32 color palette already. so this is in fact DB32.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile
I like the character without the dithering. Nice updates on the shoes and sword. I don't like the straight line of light and shadow dividing the character. Add wrinkles to the shirt that will effect the light and shadow.

Offline krbri

• View Profile
heyguy - ty for the comment. I'll try to add the wrinkles and remove the dithering. Over the weekend I lost the files, so luckily I posted them, I have to separate it into layers again, but it shouldn't take long. I couldn't respond because I was pressed for time.

Offline krbri

• View Profile
An update

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 05:17:25 am by krbri »

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile
The wrinkles in the shirt are very intense try to make them grander shapes rather than lines, especially on the lfet shoulder where at the resolution you are doing there shouldnt be wrinkles just hints that its cloth through the shadow.  Also the bottom of the shirt is billowing out in a way that it looks like there is a fan under him.  If thats not what youre going for it should fit tighter to his body.  His left arm is a bit short too i forgot to change that in the edit ;D :y:
quick edit
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 09:17:10 pm by IrresponsibleFreelancer »
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline krbri

• View Profile
ok I will edit more. The shirt was going to fluff out like it was popular in the renaisance also some nobles wore clothes like that during the medieval. I couldn't get it to look right. The left arm I just noticed it after your mention. I should have turned it upside down a few more times :). The shoulder I'll try to make an adjustment but I'm not sure I understand what you meant by that?

Offline krbri

• View Profile
Arm length and should shade edit

Offline krbri

• View Profile
I compared the intensity of the wrinkles, I'll take your advice on that also, but I think I will evolve the shirt first. For now it would look like camoflauge. My dithering is really bad. I get the idea, so I will try to get it to look right.

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile
The shoulder looks good but what I meant about the wrinkles was on the body it's too intense across. Wrinkles don't do that. Also the way the to cage is shaped in relation to the torso a bit under the pectoral muscles it goes in so like I showed there should be shadow there. It also helps accentuate muscle whereas a lack thereof looks scrawny and weak, someone that scrawny and weak couldn't heft a sword that size in one hand. ( I'm not saying he should be buff just in better shape)
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage
Your character looks like out of a game, but I am not sure about that.

What's definitely off is the posing.
Nobody would hold a sword like that, especially not if one's about getting serious.
the tip Tip should get up, you might want to move it in the hand closer to the front of the fighter, the weighting should be distributed like 70/30 to enable quick movements. A lot of that depends of course on the attack style.

I'd suggest that you either look for general reference of swordfighting poses, fencing or similar stuff. and try to find where the positions of the feet are, where the hip shifts in order to support the weight, and where and at what angle the sword is hold.
If you need video footage searching for "HEMA" (Historical European Martial Arts) - that should lead you to some really interesting and accurate reenacted swordfighting poses with motions for attacks and parades.
There is pretty good material around for arming swords, longswords, sabers and also Langmesser - most of it is shown without armor, but there are also vids on how platemail restricts the movement for several techniques.

While a game of course doesn't need to be 100% realistic and should rather push the gameplay aspect, than the exact simulation.
For art it's generally not bad to learn about poses, capture them and maybe even exaggerate them in order to get it look alright in the context of an image, and even more so in the context of an animation.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline krbri

• View Profile
Deep. Thank you btw, I never put too much thought into that. I will check out what you said, Historical European Martial Arts. Never researched sword fighting before. However, that will make me redo the whole piece I think. Since its a low resolution. I guess that is not a problem though.