AuthorTopic: I could use some help with coloring this ie. highlight shade hue etc.  (Read 5968 times)

Offline krbri

• View Profile
Hello, I'm working on this small character. He is kind of a squire or serf with a sword. I'm getting the hang of doing the base character and filling in the flats, but this will be my first piece that I actually color and highlight. I have always just done pencil sketches and inking. So any advice on this would be very helpful to me.

So far my choice of light source would be straight from right to left and maybe a glint on the sword. My choice of colors are just a rough estimate and there is no detail on the pants, but it should be simple, and not armor or anything like that.

I was thinking of a chainmail undershirt, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Last thing is dithering. I assume this piece is way too small for serious dithering, so I'm not sure how to blend it.

So again, any advice, thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 04:33:54 pm by krbri »

Offline krbri

• View Profile
I followed all the directions in posting an image, any suggestions why it does not show up? I used img tags and I'm using imgur.com. Here is a direct link.

ok i figured it out, i was posting to the image page not the image. Sorry.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:17:54 pm by krbri »

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile
Uhhhh.....

Offline krbri

• View Profile
I'm not sure what you mean by uhhh. What is the problem?

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile
Your image still isn't showing.

Offline krbri

• View Profile
Here is an update. It shows up correctly here. Maybe you need to refresh.

and another quick update

The dithering on his left side shirt is very rough, I'm not sure how to better blend it. I'm using aseprites default palette so I'm trying to limit how many additional colors I add. I will try to translate it to Dawnbringers 16 color palette maybe DB32.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:16:54 pm by krbri »

Offline krbri

• View Profile
My inexperience with this made me overlook something. By default I was using Dawnbringers 32 color palette already. so this is in fact DB32.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile
I like the character without the dithering. Nice updates on the shoes and sword. I don't like the straight line of light and shadow dividing the character. Add wrinkles to the shirt that will effect the light and shadow.

Offline krbri

• View Profile
heyguy - ty for the comment. I'll try to add the wrinkles and remove the dithering. Over the weekend I lost the files, so luckily I posted them, I have to separate it into layers again, but it shouldn't take long. I couldn't respond because I was pressed for time.

Offline krbri

• View Profile
An update

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 05:17:25 am by krbri »