AuthorTopic: [C&C][WIP] Ground Tiles  (Read 12999 times)

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

[C&C][WIP] Ground Tiles

on: July 10, 2015, 09:29:21 am
Hello, Iv recently accepted a job position of graphics artist in a game currently in development , thing is there was already half of a tileset finished so instead of recreating the whole thing , the owner of the game asked if I could add on it , which means I had to adapt to the style path already drawn, Iv started with the cobble stone , this is the 3rd time I stay up till 11am trying to fit this together, here is the style iam going for

( this is the tile that already exists)

here are my numerous cobblestone tile that failed to fit that syle x.x

I know what Iam doing is wrong by just keep trying to make the tile and hope it just matches the style instead of actually studying it and understanding how light works better , I am just trying to create a cobblestone tile that fits both grass and the rocky mountain tile, any help would be greatly appreciated thanks for your time. :) , (ps:if any one has the time to actually tutor me how I could grasp the way light works and how to actually adapt to some one elses style that would be amazing <3)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 09:30:56 am by BoodyA »

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Re: [C&C][WIP] Ground Tiles

Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 02:35:45 pm
You really need to spend more time looking at the tile that you are trying to match.  Let's only look at the cliff rocks and ignore the grass.

It doesn't have any dithering.  It also doesn't have highlights or much in the way of single pixel thick lines.  All of your tiles have either dithering or single pixel lines.

Then there are the colors.  You should just use the same colors that he used, in the same way that he used them.

If you do these two things you should be much closer to what is desired.

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 08:08:36 pm
Just to add to the last one, you may notice that the rocks are lighter brown but the shadows of them almost feel purple.  You need to include a lot more hue variation from lights to darks and try to go from warm to cool.  Also the first one of yours is by far the closest because it is almost split into each plane while maintaining the smoothness and still being 3 dimensional.  In  fact the first one probably works fine the colours just need adjusting. :y:
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 09:25:02 am
imho, it would be easier to understand the style of the rock+grass part if you first try to create standalone rocks that match the style, as it will be closer to what exists. Using the same palette is also a good way to ensure homogeneity. Once you're satisfied with that, small patches of cobblestone lost in the grass may help to approach full cobblestone tile.

Don't lose hope: your tiles are actually quite good although not matching the other's style.

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 06:39:57 am
Thanks Ill try my best :)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 12:33:12 pm
looks like scale is ur biggest problem.
the rocks ur drawing look like 32px tiles while the original is 16px.

here's a little edit to give u an idea where it seems to match alot better thought u might even be able to go smaller rocks maybe.

I'm thinking ur not using a proper tiling program either perhaps?
You can try Pyxel Edit for free though the $9 version is MUCH better.
Here's the .pyxel file I was editing if ur interested...

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 07:58:24 am
aah your cobble tiles are perfectly matching, what I see you also have different in your tile is that and correct me if I am wrong here
a) there are big spaces between your stones
b) the stones are short therefor your not using a dark color inbetween the stones
c) your highlights are coming from above the tile to show light source and not from to bottom to show tile thickness

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 10:22:39 am
Oh I totally missed that 16x16 you posted x.x , anywho ill re make another one ,but here is a quick try after looking at your tile , I tried making the stones abit smaller with bigger spaces but it looked weird so I added a flat second layer of cobblestones beneath it with a slight darker color any thoughts?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 10:59:14 am
some relevant points:

if this is a natural formation it makes sense that the stones use the colours of the cliffs.
try to have a similar level of contrast the grass. ur latest one is a tad too faded.
it should be less contrast than the cliffs though since they are a "solid" meaning they are more important to the gameplay and thus should have higher visual priority.

u still seem to be having some small tiling issues so what software r u using?

while ur at it u might want to fix that grass tile.
there is a bit of a horizontal line on the seam between tiles just needs a few pixels adjusted to smooth that out.

Offline Blobber

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 01:09:45 am
What about if you did something like this with the rocks? Use the darker color from the original in between the rocks. I think it might look even closer if you had the same proportions of colors in the rocks as the original...

I tried to fix up that line in your grass for you but I ran out of time.