AuthorTopic: Random stuff  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Omega_Jet

• View Profile

Random stuff

on: July 07, 2015, 10:57:47 am
Hey guys, I have been spriting for quite some time and also worked with a few small game companies, but I was never really active on this forum, but here goes.

These are relatively new stuff I was developing for an rpg myself which got scrapped. So I figured I out post them here to get some valid criticism to improve my craft.

This ones unfinished. Got lazy.

Odd mix. Few characters and a fucking tree.

This is for a mobile app.
Animations:

The Scott Pilgrim influence is obvious, I know xD

Anyway, I would appreciate some comments.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Random stuff

Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 01:12:11 pm
hey good initial impression on those smaller sprites.
the first thing i noticed then was banding and single pixel noise.
also try working against a 50% grey background for all sprites it will help u get consistency in ur colours.
notice below how washed out ur sprite really is when its not against black?
they're not too bad but they def could be bolder.
here's a 20min work-over (of the one that had most obvious banding) to give u some ideas...

for the bigger characters i'd say u need more drawing practice use pencil and paper and read some books like these http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/ (figure drawing specifically)
while practising give up the anime style completely and don't refer to any stylised art.
focus on realism, then incorporate what you've learned back into ur anime style.

Offline Omega_Jet

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 03:39:45 pm
@Decroded:
Noted the tips and crits man, really appreciate it.
And the edit you made looks really awesome. I will try to incorporate some elements from that into my work. Thanks a lot.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 10:03:27 pm
for the running animation,
Imho, the hips should be bouncing much more. You would have some damping of the fall by bending your knee while running, but not to the point that you maintain your torso at constant height. when the leg is passing, it inevitably lift you for the next "step/jump".