AuthorTopic: [C+C][WIP] Totally not Samus  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

[C+C][WIP] Totally not Samus

on: June 28, 2015, 01:55:43 am
Weird to think that it's been more than 6 years since I was posting here regularly. The creeping of age. Hrm.

Anyway, I got it in my head that I needed to commit some more time and effort into improving again, and so I've been taking on projects that really push me out of my comfort zones.

Taking some more obvious, titular inspirations aside, there is also Robocop, Cecil, Predator, Megaman X, Femto, etc.

So this thing. I know there are a lot of problems with it, but I've been looking at it for so long and my skills limited in a way that is making it difficult to spot what I can do to make it better.

Help an old bastard out.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 02:06:39 am by Corsair »

Offline BlackTerror

• View Profile

Re: [C+C][WIP] Totally not Samus

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 04:30:50 am
I realize the bottom half or so is rough and unfinished. The overall form and palette design looks good.

I feel like her forearm is too short and she seems to be handless. If the gold bit there is meant to be her glove, it needs less dark separation between it and the feathers above.

Are they feathers? They seem kind of poofy and structureless, like Dr. Seuss trees.

Offline Amorphous

• AmorphousPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43158.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 05:12:43 am
Hey! This is looking really cool. I agree with what BlackTerror has said, and I did a messy paint-over to throw in a few more thoughts:

It's late here, so I can't be super thorough, but the main thing I was thinking about was composition/visual-priority. Everything is pretty much uniform in brightness in the image's current state, which both reduces the depth and kind of leaves me wondering where my eye is supposed to focus, if you get what I'm saying -- not everything in a picture can have equal importance. So I added a bunch of contrast and tried spreading the pose out a bit more (might look a bit fly-swatted now) and messed around with a bunch of other things.

Sorry if that doesn't make any sense; I'm up too late and my brain is a bit fried. :ouch: Hope the edit helps a bit, and can't wait to see where this goes!

Offline CelioHogane

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 04:36:47 pm
+1 Corsair, it is pretty cool :D

I really like the sword desing, half solid half plasma <3

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 10:11:06 pm
Working on some proportions and doing shading work based on Amorphous' edit.

I'll probably do more work on the posing itself once I have a few minute to commit to that. Still need to work on priority as well.

As for the sword itself - It's actually some concept art for a character in a game that a friend is proposing but will probably never develop. I thought it was a neat idea all the same. A broken ceremonial weapon that projects a memory of it's former function.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:17:38 pm by Corsair »