AuthorTopic: Sketch and a sprite  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Catzore

• View Profile

Sketch and a sprite

on: June 21, 2015, 04:03:25 am
Hey its Catzore, sorry I haven't been active for a while, lots of schoolwork. However now my work is basically non-existent because summer is right around the corner and that means I have more time to practice my spriting and figure drawing.
My first image is a " High Angel " as I like to call it

I think its pretty neat, now If only I could animate it....

My second image is a sketch i'm having some trouble with

It's supposed to be some kind of twisted humanoid creature however I am struggling with the proportions and the perspective, if anyone can sketch this out a little just to show me where the lines for the torso and legs should be that would help me out a lot.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Sketch and a sprite

Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 12:27:03 pm
Ah, yeah.
Construction is complex, it also deals with perspectives.
Looking at the 2nd sprite it's in two different perspectives at once.
The torso is facing us (foreshortened), from the waist down it faces sideways, but unless it's supposed to be an f'd-up Silent Hill creature that isn't gonna work. (Also arms proportions are wonky there, and too much extra space around the sprite, you might want to cut down on it)

Made a quick GIF:

You see?

This next part's general tips, also motivation:

Serious, take those PDFs.
Copy, rip the knowledge in them apart, leaving sprites and original stuff mostly out of the picture when you start for more gain.
Then bring it back in, applying what you know.
You could be on your way to being a spartan pixel/artist by the end of the book.

Hope it helps.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 08:23:41 am by pistachio »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Sketch and a sprite

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 10:12:16 am
What pdf's?  :o

Its always good if something fantasy feels like its grounded in reality.
So IMO until ur quite experienced with construction its better to draw a basic figure as a normal human, get it looking correct like a normal person with forms defined and THEN proceed to make modifications (keep a copy of the normal human for comparison).