AuthorTopic: Metal Ape (WIP)  (Read 4220 times)

Offline niceidiot

• View Profile

Metal Ape (WIP)

on: August 25, 2006, 05:34:10 am

Practicing weathered metal. I dunno where to go with this.

What are your thoughts?

-n.i.

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Re: Metal Ape (WIP)

Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 07:18:33 am
pretty good start, although you need to realize that Ape's don't exactly have the anatomy of a dog. They have really long arms with shorter legs, and don't stand like that, but rather more hunched over.

Offline Morph

• Pixel with Gimp, Program with Python
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 02:06:28 pm
Looks good, i would finnish it the way your going ;)

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 11:34:16 pm
pretty good start, although you need to realize that Ape's don't exactly have the anatomy of a dog. They have really long arms with shorter legs, and don't stand like that, but rather more hunched over.
However, this is a mechanical ape, and is therefore not quite so restricted to the anatomical limitations of the regular fleshy breeds...I think  :-\
I'm hoping the section that connects the torso of the Ape to its haunches isn't going to be so perfectly shapen. It is, as you said, 'weathered'.
I.....am......me............

Offline terminal_arcade

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 12:46:42 am
Looking at a reference pic of a gorilla (not that hard to find) the anatomy looks just fine, but there are a couple points that might want attention. For example, if he stood on his back two feet, what would happen to his head? Without a neck, that might be a bit awkward. Might not be a huge issue though. Also, he does look a bit dog-like, but I think this is just because his back dosen't curve inwards. I would experiment and try to get a curve in it. If you sit up straight with good posture, your back curves inwards lower down, and on gorillas this is very pronounced. Your guy's pretty straight.

I think the limb length is okay, personally. I really love the scratched metal look, especially on the front arm. Nice colour use, too.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 04:11:59 am
I love it. The effect has been pulled off beautifully. I think the arm would look better with an elbow ball/joint connecting the upper arm to the lower arm. The shading on the lower arm looks like it's coming from a different lightsource(behind-left, instead of front-right). some areas like the face are getting a bit messy and cramped with all the sshading and reflection. You might want to simplify it a bit in these parts and have some parts like the upper lip reflecting only red light and the bottom lip reflecting the browns and metallic colours.

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 04:22:38 am
looking at some reference pics it's better than I thought--and it is, like you said, a mechanical ape. I like how you've achieved the weathered look and texture of the metal, and can't wait to see an updated version.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 09:31:46 am
I like it, nice textures.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 04:21:10 pm
So far I can see your on the right truck, so nothing I can Comment on at the moment!
great avater your having btw
good luck!