AuthorTopic: [WIP][CC] Looking to Push My Characters  (Read 3583 times)

Offline Swifty

• View Profile

[WIP][CC] Looking to Push My Characters

on: June 14, 2015, 02:21:53 am
I've been working on a few characters for a personal project, and I really want to push my pixel art to the next level. I'm looking at any advice and CC you guys can give. I feel like my weakest point at the moment is good colour pallets and shading.

Just a note, that these will all be animated so I've tried to keep the shading and colours to each unit fairly simple.

Offline Fickludd

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][CC] Looking to Push My Characters

Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 09:01:14 pm
You have some nice outlines and chars going. Tried a little edit to prioritize within the sprites (armour skelly and tree), and arm length of the druid. You seems to draw lines first, followed by coloring, which might be an unwise strategy when working with such low-res sprites. Space is often too limited for linework.

Offline Amorphous

• AmorphousPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43158.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 02:45:21 am
Gonna echo what Fickludd said. Use dark outlines only when you absolutely need them to distinguish forms; otherwise they just take up precious space and increase clutter. Try using differences in value to do the same job.

I did some messy edits on the leftmost four sprites. Many of your colors were saturated shades of orange, which isn't bad in and of itself, but your palette could use more cooler blues and purples to add interest. Also, recycle colors throughout the sprites. There were several isolated clusters of colors that only appeared once, and you could either eliminate those color or come up with ways to reuse them in funky combinations.

Finally, consider giving yourself some breathing room in terms of your characters' proportions. You're trying to pack a lot of detail into small areas; it might be easier to just make them bigger -- for example, the heads on all of these guys are pretty small.

Hope that helps!

Offline Swifty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 03:24:58 am
@Fickludd - You're right, I definitely tend to start out with the line art and move into colour, I'll make it a rule to start blocking in with values and shy away from lines.

@Amorphous - Really appreciate the tips for the colour pallet. I'm unfortunately stuck working on a laptop with a pretty bad screen after my desktop has kicked it so it's making me getting a good colour pallet even harder. I'll work on re-using colours between units to tie it all together, great tip that I have overlooked!

Your edits are really great! It's on a whole other level, and you make it look effortless, man I love what you did to the Treant Defender!  This is why I love CC so much; there's tones I need to learn. I'm going to do a 2nd pass on these, I'll post how I go :)

Offline Swifty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 12:05:08 am
Okay here's my 2nd pass edits:

I took a lot of inspiration from your work Amorphous while trying no to just blatantly copy it! I really love the little grass details you put on the druid's staff and the twigs atop the Treant Defender, as well as the little "shines" on the Skeleton Kings armor & Sword, really adds to the overall unit. Also another observation I had in regards to the Treant that my original unit was quite top-heavy, so going with your edit I extended the roots at the base to make him feel overall more solid.

I've condensed my colour pallet and have tried to reuse colours as much as possible across the board on the units. I'm really not sure how to layout my colour pallets or how to develop them colour wise.. any tips here or good articles to read would be great!

I'll start on a couple new units next, adhering to what I've learnt, cheers guys!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 04:28:10 am by Swifty »

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 10:49:58 am

These are some nice sprites, I did some edits of a few of them!
First of it's great that you are moving away from black outlines, defining stuff with outlines at this size usually just clutters the sprite. If you look at my edits of the druid and ghoul-like characters you'll see outlines are mostly only used in the lower ''shadowy'' parts of the sprite to suggest shape, while the upper, lighter parts could go outline free. At this size it's crucial to get as much readability out of your sprites as possible, which means playing with contrast of different parts of the sprite.
I also tried to play around with the pixel clusters a bit to simplify and make them mesh together a bit, everything to get them to read better at a glance. Again, nice sprites, these were just some suggestions!  :y:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 05:59:49 pm by Reo »