AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] Werewolf Boardroom Background  (Read 2661 times)

Offline JoeCreates

• View Profile

[WIP][C+C] Werewolf Boardroom Background

on: June 12, 2015, 01:03:40 pm
I'm working on this piece for use with various bits of promotional material for a game.

At the moment I'm a little unsure of how to handle the background. Below are two versions, the original, and one where I've added a layer to darken the background. At the moment this is just a translucent layer, hence all the extra colors in the background. I'm aiming to make the wolf the focus, have some depth, but also keep the lighting somewhat consistent. Here is the unfinished piece in an example use: http://joecreates.co.uk/werewolftycoon2/

Latest:

I'm also considering adding rays through the window.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 05:22:13 pm by JoeCreates »

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] Werewolf Boardroom Background

Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 03:51:51 pm
I definitely prefer the brighter one. Watch the rim light on the plant meshing with the rim light on the hand, it makes the silhouette very unclear. His forearms appear to be slightly different lengths. Think about maybe doing something different with the window bars, I like the really straight centred composition but the bars are a bit much I think, almost pulls my eye right over the top of him, especially with the bright moon drawing attention. Between the lines of the table the rim light on his back and the veritcal bars everything kind of flows around him him and then out of the top of the frame and there's nothing pulling you back in and pointing you to his face. The bars could be a perfect tool for that if you shape them right.

Great stuff ;D Can't wait to see it finished.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 03:54:29 pm by 32 »

Offline castled

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 05:12:20 pm
It's fantastic. Personally I like the darker version better. It seems more sinister, as it feels you're in a very dark room and really focuses the wolf. Danger could be lurking in the shadows. Whereas in the brighter version it almost seems like the moon could be a sun, it seems unusual that the moonlight would be bright enough to light the wall and features of the painting so well.

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 01:14:15 pm
I think that darker one looks amazing, and by adding that table reflection you made this drawing so appealing. :) Cigar light should be a bit brighter in the reflection cause it's a light source and it's not very far to fade out so much.

I presume this is for expanding your game?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 03:24:20 am
Looking good mate  :y:

Contrast is king the mood calls for dark darks and strong highlights.
the moon perpahs is gaining too much priority right now I think it should be bright but might also look better with a couple of whisps of cloud over it.
it might balance the priority to use the moon colour in wolf's highlights too.
as wolf is subject he deserves more highlight further around instead of being so logical and only highlighting the top.

have u considered the relfection from his eyes is magically bright enough to illuminate around his eyes and along his nose a bit.
it would be good to see a bit of teeth and perhaps an evil smirk on one side showing a glint of a large fang.

I think his back is a little bit too hunched or his head could be a bit bigger or something, whatever it is head looks a bit disconnected to me.

in terms of adding rays I think this would be a final step and consider that a cigar smoke cloud would be good for that.

what is the painting in the background?
it would be neat if it had some relevance to werewolves.

I think his hand could be a little stronger too to suggest he has a firm grip on the business.