AuthorTopic: Pixel Art Game - resolution  (Read 6016 times)

Offline LordPitex

• View Profile

Pixel Art Game - resolution

on: June 12, 2015, 09:33:57 am
Hi,
I'm graphic designer, and i want to make game like Gemini Rue. I'd like to make a background first, and there is my question - what is proper resolution for pixel art game? I found this threat http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=16510.0 and 480x240 is mentioned, by dividing 1080p in 4, but it's no true, 1080p divided by 4 is 480x270 not 480x240.
Please help :)
PS. English is not my first language, sorry for my grama.

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Re: Pixel Art Game - resolution

Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 09:49:19 am
I'm going to be keeping an eye on this thread because this is something I too am interested in. So you're not alone in this issue, right now I've been banking on a virtual resolution of 480x270 as well.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 04:04:34 pm
I was OP from that thread. I ended up settling on 640x360. But I do have somewhat large sprites (64x64) so you may want to go a bit smaller than that.

Note that I have been having some problems in GameMaker with pixels being jaggy when I have color interpolation off, and blurry when its on. I think its most likely because my screen resolution isn't evenly divisible by my game resolution. I'll have to experiment some more. I don't really know what the solution is because different screen will act differently. My game resolution would probably work perfectly on a 1280x720 or 1920x1080 screen. However, my screen is 1600x900.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 04:08:55 pm by PsylentKnight »
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline jahasaja

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 06:33:10 pm
It all depends on your game. What kind of graphics and sprites are you planning to use? I would start in that end.

First, how big will the player character be?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 06:35:42 pm by jahasaja »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 11:14:16 pm
Usually, people crop their backgrounds. You make a background in 4:3 and then you crop depending on resolution.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 05:53:10 am
+1 consider your sprites first.
If the sprite doesn't scale like some of the old Point & Clicks then draft a few characters and post them.

Consider the balance between too few pixels (can't get enough detail) and too many pixels (becoming too much work for your skill level), the consider how much of the screen you want your characters to fill.
I dunno how true this is but I read a while back that players can feel more emotionally connected with characters that fill more of the screen.
Based on this information you can determine your screen size.
You can pick anything really since you'll probably be painting the backgrounds instead of using tiles.
I choose resolutions which are a factor of the target platform e.g. would scale cleanly on a 1920x1080 monitor.
If you detect ratios that don't fit yours you can just add little black letterboxes shouldn't be a problem.
If you don't put anything important near the edges you can even get away with a bit of cropping in a game like that.

Offline LordPitex

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 11:10:02 am
This is my character sprite , and this is my first background with my charakter . Res for it is 320x200.
Maybe should I made a bigger sprite? Should I change res to 480x270?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 04:16:28 am
it looks alright as is.
I guess now consider a scene where ur trying to draw some objects/items he would interact with and make sure u can squeeze in enough detail to see what this are
e.g. There is a desk with a telephone, an empty whiskey bottle and a note pad. do u have enough pixels to draw and see these things.
I think u do by the way I'm just sayin how I think it should be considered.
I think some of ur rooms will end up letterboxed say when ur inside and apartment but thats fine actually it helps with the sense of scale.

long story short leave it as it is or you'll create much more work for yourself.

Offline BlackTerror

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 08:21:06 pm
Your sidewalk perspective isn't right. A) that's a very short walk up to the doorway, and B) the sidewalk doesn't conform to the perspective of the hotel's walk. The latter has a vanishing point right around the center point between the "O" and the "T". That's where you need to draw all your sidewalk lines to converge to.