AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] 32px Character  (Read 3618 times)

Offline cbamf

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

[WIP][C+C] 32px Character

on: June 10, 2015, 07:28:46 pm
My first attempt at a pixel art character. As always be as brutally honest as you like, I'd love to hear of any optimisations in terms of pallet, ways to improve the shading, silhouette, character design, anything really!

Thanks,

Cory.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:51:37 pm by cbamf »

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] 32px Character

Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 07:37:42 pm
As I first began, I found great use in working with a pre-made color palette, and I think you would too. As I continue to be loyal to the palette, I learn more about what colors look good together and why. I have since had satisfactory results with my own colors.

Aside from that, maybe you would profit from studying some anatomy, and I think I probably would too.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 07:50:00 am
As I first began, I found great use in working with a pre-made color palette, and I think you would too.
That shortcut might work for some ppl and it is certainly fun to work with a good palette but I have to disagree with recommending it over choosing the colours yourself.

I think the colours here are a pretty good start its obvious he's a military dude and doesn't want any blingy colours.
Here's a few suggestions:
 - Seriously cull off the similar colours. Having this many colours in ur ramp actually detracts from the quality and readability of the sprite.
 - Make the gun a different colour from the uniform.
 - Make the pants a bit baggier and the boots a bit chunkier. You can achieve this by adding selective-outline

Some more little points to come but I gotta run...

Offline cbamf

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 01:16:20 pm
Thanks for the suggestions guys. My main gripe at the moment is with the face. I'll certainly recolour the rifle. The uniform colours were picked from the Scorpion W2 which I suppose as a camoflage pattern has the distinct purpose of disputing the readability of its wearers. Ho hum.

I'll work towards making a camo pattern that doesn't obscure the character.

Cheers,

Cory.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 12:02:10 pm
i don't think ur gonna get camo at this scale.

without changing too much i gave him a work-over treating him as i would a game sprite (becoz im addicted).

i think some ppl don't like this kind of outlining and there are ways around it but as far as i know its the most reliable way to make a sprite pop against a variety of backgrounds (in combination with contrast, saturation etc) and when overlapping other sprites.

out of interest i dropped him against a random metal slug screenshot.
i then realised ur grey background wasn't 50% brightness so the value balance was a bit off.
after some tweaking here's a more extreme palette suited more to arcade games perhaps.

here's a comparison fyi...

more tweaking could be done to make it pop more but it should give an idea.

not sure if any of this applies to ur intended use for the character but maybe you'll get something out of it.

Offline cbamf

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 09:23:24 am
That's a really interesting study. When I tried outlining it was no way near as good looking.

I'll give it another go looking closely at your study.

They don't really have an intended purpose just learning experiences for me.

Thanks,

Cory

Offline cbamf

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 07:14:12 pm
I did a take on your modifications Decroded, thanks again for the help and let me know what you think.

Cory.