AuthorTopic: Splashing Animation  (Read 9276 times)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Splashing Animation

on: June 09, 2015, 09:25:56 pm
Here it is guys!

I'd like some criticism to improve it please.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Splashing Animation

Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 11:55:21 pm
the physics timings and what's going on in your animation are completely off off.

how it works:
If an objects hits a watter surface it will penetrate it and make some kind of "crater" with a small splash around
this crater implodes and since the air has to move somewhere the second vertical splash will occur.

how it looks: - slow mo:

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 08:34:26 pm
Cyangmou is HELLA right =D.

Here's an excellent vid on it I caught when researching for a fx job I had a little while ago. dont have to watch it all :p

so the outer ring that forms as soon as the object falls is an ejecta sheet , the water column that comes up after the object is submerged is a water jet.  fluid dynamics duuude....picked up some lingo after researching. keywords will get ya better results

this one's a comparison of two different scales, the one with the broken up jet is bigger of course.

I made you some GIFs :p

CG, but shows the whole process and is decent enough. maybe a bit too rigid for water, too much surface tension?

these cut before the jet!

however, since you're presumably making this for a game, you have to keep in mind this will play any time the player clashes with the water, so you can skip some detail

Heart of darkness, a game with very detailed fx animation doesnt have an ejecta and a jet, it kinda has a jet that dissipates like an ejecta sheet

some ejecta sheets collapse on the center so it looks like there's no water jet, that's a good simplification

Also, shallow water doesnt create a jet because the jet is proportional to the hole the object leaves behind when submerged. if you only have shallow water in your game you can skip the jet.

So pick a simplification that makes sense with how the player interacts with water in your game grounded on the real phenomena.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:47:42 pm by Conceit »

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 09:44:12 pm
Thanks for both constructive replies.

I had another go at this today.

The water at the end is static (on the sides) but besides this I think it's definitely a step forward.

It's transition between the first splash and the second one which needs the most work I think.

Offline TheRealAkito

• View Profile
    • Akito's Website!

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 03:59:22 pm
I'm not new to animation but maybe you could reduce the size of the water that goes in the air, it makes the splash look too intense.
Excuse me while I go play some Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 07:46:00 pm
that is pretty damn good, heh i dont think games usually put so much detail into something like this. I like the waving that you had the surface water do after the jet, but I doubt it'd work in a game...so is this just you learning water or are you using it in a game?

umm I can see  what Akito said, it kinda feels like the first splash isnt as strong as the second one...so your choice, either make the first one a bit bigger or what follows a bit smaller. I like what happens after the first splash, lotsa detail there

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 06:37:24 pm
Thanks for the suggest, theRealAkito and the encouragements, Conceit.

So I increased the initial splash and lowered the second (as was suggested):

I also added more frames at the end.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Missed your question, it's for a game, yes  :y:.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 06:51:22 pm by Zizka »

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 12:44:54 pm
I have something that maybe useful here. :)

http://madebyevan.com/webgl-water/

You can activate and deactivate gravity and look how water moves after ball falls into the pool. :D

Personally I would like to thanks Conceit for that Heart of Darkness reference, it was very helpful for me.

@Zizka, considering your overall game graphics which is more cartoony, I think that you are complicate things with trying to apply realistic shading, and those outlines on water and water drops in last frames are unnecessary, animation without them looks much more alive and smooth.

Also sharp movement in last few frames makes it look like a jello instead of water. That kind of big movement of water can't be stopped instantly so I think that better solution for short splash animation is Heart of Darkness reference.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 09:08:19 pm
glad to be of help Harvey!  :D I'm kinda curious now why it was so good for ya   :o as a kind of disclaimer keep in mind I just giffed a youtube longplay with  LICEcap so the colors pallete is NOT what it's like in the game

Zizka it's looking a lot better! but man test it as soon as you can, I think you're adding a lot of stuff that  you'll find to be useless ingame. For example the way you have the lowest level of the water change is almsot assured NOT to work...even though as a isolated gif it looks great!

https://youtu.be/dP4-1oAPySA?t=8m45s (dont embed it cause I couldnt point you to a specific point in the video)
Alucard's splash is pretty plain, but it works! it looks like a water splash AND fits what's happening gameplaywise. That's really all effects do, make the world feel real. Cant do that without testing the effect! no matter how pretty it is it'd be worse than alucard's if it doesnt fit the gameplay, so dont waste polish before you test it you'll likely have to change it!

https://youtu.be/lMx4iLp-EAc?t=1m50s (dont embed it cause I couldnt point you to a specific point in the video)
Metal slug instead goes for very specific stuff, one effect for each interaction with the water. one effect for characters landing on water, another one for their sloshing around, and another for when the enemies blast out of it. Lots more work, and we notice the detail but will most people notice? your choice which way you go. Your high splash is like the one where they blast out, it also would work for people submerging

other than that, the little extra splash at the end is a good idea but your droplets are WAY too big

it's almost like you had switched from the first example here to the second in the middle of the animation
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 08:14:42 pm by Conceit »

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 11:43:18 pm
@Conceit I had to make small animation of fish dropping into the tank and that reference saved me a lot of time of experimenting and searching for references. :D Somehow I stole a bit of Zizka's "help pack" in right time for me. :crazy: ;) I would attach it but don't know if I may.

I always wanted to have nice database with this kind of references, I even made tread asking good links while back. I'm always impressed with references you've guys present from time to time, and I appreciate that. :)