AuthorTopic: [C+C][WIP]My first attempt at a walk animation...  (Read 4293 times)

Offline TheRealAkito

• View Profile
    • Akito's Website!

[C+C][WIP]My first attempt at a walk animation...

on: June 16, 2015, 03:01:56 am
Okay so I attempted to do my first walking animation...I'm not happy.
It looks so unnatural and I don't know how other artists can do it. Please help me.
Excuse me while I go play some Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C][WIP]My first attempt at a walk animation...

Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 03:37:42 am
The feet need to follow a single path through the whole animation, a walk is a lot like just having two pendulums swinging counter to eachother, or like the foot travelling in a circle. Right now you legs go back> forward> back> back> back> forward> loop to first back. They should go back> back> back> forward> forward> forward > loop to first back.

Take a look at the classic Idleworm tutorial.

Offline Telek

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 04:11:25 am
I found this tutorial: http://finalbossblues.com/walk-cycles-p1/ to be quite helpful in understanding how the parts fit together.  It's another good reference.  There are several others like it, but the gist of the method is to try to figure out the major points of the animation (foot fully forward, foot fully back) then the in between points (stepping forward, swinging back).  Once you have them framed as you would like them the animation should already start to flow, then you fill in the intervening frames and adjust as necessary to get your final product.

Offline cbamf

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 08:25:32 am
E:

The idleworm 8 frame image and full tutorial was already linked so I'll just echo its utility.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:27:22 am by cbamf »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 09:50:28 am
I found this tutorial: http://finalbossblues.com/walk-cycles-p1/ to be quite helpful in understanding how the parts fit together.  It's another good reference.  There are several others like it, but the gist of the method is to try to figure out the major points of the animation (foot fully forward, foot fully back) then the in between points (stepping forward, swinging back).  Once you have them framed as you would like them the animation should already start to flow, then you fill in the intervening frames and adjust as necessary to get your final product.
That's a really great tutorial for beginners.
Nice one  :y:

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 11:19:21 pm
For the love of God look at reference! You're like a scrawny kid who walks into a gym and wonders why he is not able to bench press 300 pounds straight away.
There are four main poses in a standard walk cycle. Try to understand how they work and don't be afraid of copying. You MUST copy to get good.
First thing I would take into consideration is the up and down movement lacking in your sprite, look at this chart:

Offline TheRealAkito

• View Profile
    • Akito's Website!

Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 02:54:36 am
Guys! I look at the refrences and stuff you said and gave to me and it really helped like a lot! Yata!!
What do you think now?

Offline Swifty

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 05:24:59 am
That's a huge improvement, great job but there's still a few little kinks to work out;

The legs on your walk cycle aren't moving at a constant pace per frame, when you walk your speed stays relatively the same, so your limbs, like your legs, should be moving roughly the same distance each frame, in your passing frame their is barely any movement, this makes it feel like it just snaps into the passing stage before going to the high and into the contact.

Also your feet are bouncing, they aren't staying on a plane, when they make their contact frame, they should stay on that level.

The last thing to note is his head bouncing feels quite jittery, again this has to do with not moving the body at a constant pace, If you study my edit I only ever move the height of the unit a single pixel at a time, yet he has a low point and a high point during his walk cycle.

Edit here:

Offline TheRealAkito

• View Profile
    • Akito's Website!

Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 11:28:57 am
Thanks I'll definitely be sure to study your edit.