AuthorTopic: new 16px knight hero dude  (Read 9845 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: new 16px knight hero dude

Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 12:35:33 am
fantastic advice thanks matey  :y:

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 04:17:25 am
Question for wolfie...based on how u did this pass over the animation, do u think about the following process is efficient?

1. draw key frames of most exaggerated frames ie start of sword swing, end of sword swing.
2. add basic tweens, blurs etc and tweak timing until it feels right
3. do another pass to add subpixel tween frames and edit original frames to blend in with this.

I would say do the animation as you did originally, with no subpixelling, get the timing of the actions right, then add subpixel inbetweens(doubling the frame count) and half all frame durations. Subpixels are only useful for subtle movements, broader movements like a sword swing probably doesn't need them so don't use them if you don't have to.  :)

Take a cookie!

NOMNOMNOMNOM!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 10:54:11 am
SSsssoooo Gil...when u gonna write us a sub-pixel smoothing script?  :D

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 11:24:40 am
SSsssoooo Gil...when u gonna write us a sub-pixel smoothing script?  :D
What, like auto-tweening with subpixels or auto-AA? Sounds interesting. Not sure how hard that'd be.

We'd need to do one manually first of course, to prove the concept.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 02:41:24 pm
my friend said maybe its like morph from deluxe paint but he's more a coder than an artist.

so concept is it compares frame 1 and 2 for colour changes in each pixel, adds a smoothing frame which finds the nearest in-between colour (from the restricted palette importantly) and applies the colour accordingly.
if the idea works i could probably code it in GM but it would take me longer than someone who's good at coding  :lol:

from what ive seen i cant think why the results wouldn't be awesome and time saving.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #25 on: June 11, 2015, 05:41:20 pm
my friend said maybe its like morph from deluxe paint but he's more a coder than an artist.

so concept is it compares frame 1 and 2 for colour changes in each pixel, adds a smoothing frame which finds the nearest in-between colour (from the restricted palette importantly) and applies the colour accordingly.
if the idea works i could probably code it in GM but it would take me longer than someone who's good at coding  :lol:

from what ive seen i cant think why the results wouldn't be awesome and time saving.

gotcha, might give it a try if I have some spare time

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 09:18:26 pm

gotcha, might give it a try if I have some spare time

:y: :D