AuthorTopic: Heroine (nes colors)  (Read 4246 times)

Offline jahasaja

• View Profile

Heroine (nes colors)

on: June 08, 2015, 12:53:08 pm
Working on some ideas for a new game.

Wondering if this as a player is too boring? I only used nes colors and tried to only have 3 colors for the player (except for the weapon).

I plan to have her well animated:

(Any ideas why graphics gale would do this to me? I had to go in a fix frames manually)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:23:00 pm by jahasaja »

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile

Re: Heroine (nes colors)

Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 04:04:29 pm
The animation itself looks pretty realistic, almost rotoscoped. She doesn't look like a trained warrior though if that's what you're after but rather like a unfit soccer mom who picked up a sword for the first time in her life - long term martial arts practictioner here. I have to say it has a lot of personality though.

Offline jahasaja

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 06:03:31 pm
It is rotoscoped. I will probably do that with all the player animations.

It is supposed to be a farmer who holds a sword for the first time. So soccer mom sounds perfect :-).

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 06:07:59 pm
THe player sprite has to stick out, but not as much as the enemies or environments - especially if you are eiming for something similar like in "a bastard's tale" it's be goo dif the contrast would be considered really well. Usually you need greens, grays and browns for the environment (if it's a basic european environment), for the enemies red is best because red just captures your sight. Therefore you either have purple, orange or blue for the main character.

The biggest issue I can see with all of your art is the proportion of lower body length to upper body lewngth. Usually the upper body is just a tad longer than the lower body (1/3 head  or half a cranial mass for most people if we are speaking about average proportions)

In all sprites you have the lower body length is 1/3 while the upper body length make 2/3ds - you just draw the legs considerable to short and because the torso is too long the arms also look to short as additional effect.
For a sprite of that size it's just a difference of 2-3 pixels, but it really makes a huge difference.

It's a very common beginner mistake if it comes to draw human figures that arms and/or legs are to short.
It can work with some big headed chibi pixel art sprites.
However since it seems you want to have a certain amount of realism, I'd suggest that you work on that and do it right from the beginning.

Here is a little chart which should explain everything visually:

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline NowvaB

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 06:21:40 pm

I think you were having an issue with the disposal.

Just select all frames and sample the color you want to be transparent.
the 'Fill with Background Color' disposal will replace the color you made transparent with whatever you had as the Background Color under File > Properties.

I recommend having a background color similar to whatever the game's background is.

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 11:43:01 pm
The flawless animation absolutely makes up for what would otherwise be an underwhelming sprite. It looks really, really nice.

What's it rotoscoped from?

Offline jahasaja

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 11:50:15 am
Cyangmou, thanks a lot for the help. I will change the sprite to be more anatomically correct and post it here.

I did not even think about the colours. this is the first time I try to have restrictions and I have to think about how I will adapt.  The game will take place at night (not because of Bloodborne) so it will be quite dark.

And yes, it will be like "A Bastard's Tale" with some alterations (I am a one trick pony). Since it got so good reviews I want to expand on the idea. I guess I will have to make the learning curve a little less steep this time ;D.

NowvaB, Thanks! I thought it was something with the background and transparency I am new to graphic gale (which I now love).

Kellawgs The rotoscope is from a nerd with camera in a basement. In other words, from me.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 01:02:56 pm
why go from the level of bastards tale graphics all the way back to NES?
feels like the market is already flooded with NES graphics.
is it just a style u want to do or for faster production?

Offline jahasaja

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 06:52:43 pm
Good Questions Decroded.

The plan is to also have the background well animated so it should look good. I do not view it as going back but trying something different. So it is mainly a style I want to try.

But perhaps you also have a point with production speed. I want to have a many enemies and then it should be easier to animate.