AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] Ships for a space shooter  (Read 13672 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: [WIP][C+C] Ships for a space shooter

Reply #20 on: June 06, 2015, 10:47:24 pm
Small one really works for me, strong silhouette.

The big one is a big improvement over earlier work, but like decroded said, the detail muddles the form. Start with a strong silhouette, carve it up in big chunks, then start adding details, etc. The perspective on the pipes in the middle of the ship are nifty btw, makes it feel a lot larger than the small ship, I like that.

You need to flip the bit to the left of the pipes btw, to sustain the weird Link to the Past like perspective illusion (which I've never seen done on a sprite, looks funky, kudos):

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 06:55:56 am
I meant to say this can still be useful to cut into pieces and incorporate into parts of the level like the side walls and stuff.

Another thing to point out is if u look at the Donpachi series you notice everything has an angle (we see top AND back).
This angle gives you much more ability to describe interesting forms instead of a completely top down perspective.
Games that adopt this kind of perspective generally look more 3D and interesting and less flat than directly top-down or side-on.
I'm not saying you need to adopt this perspective but I hope you can look at the screenshots in the links Gil posted and compare to your ship here and see what I'm talking about.
It also forces your design to make more geometric sense ;-)

Offline Jason-S3Studios

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 01:36:36 pm
Im working on another and will post my steps, but already finished one which i think os going in the right direction.

Also i tried comparing the images but i dont see the difference. What dis you mean by flip the bit?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: June 11, 2015, 12:59:31 pm
hey u you've some good chunky geometry in there.
some bits such as the rear centre booster-looking things are flat though instead of matching the angle of the rest of it.
I don't like those panels hanging off the outer most edge.
the palette is pretty dark and boring too try some more vibrant colours.