AuthorTopic: Ice planet platform mockup [WIP]  (Read 8223 times)

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile

Ice planet platform mockup [WIP]

on: May 31, 2015, 05:22:03 am
Here is what I got so far. A lot of things rough and blocked in obviously. Going to create more tiles for the iceblock thing so I can build a bunch of different formations.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Re: Ice planet platform mockup [WIP]

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 01:49:54 pm
Characters and background are super super nice..  At that rare stage where everything has the perfect amount of simplicity and detail.  I'd love to convince you to whack in a cloud layer and then leave it alone.   :lol:

Ice stuff looks a bit rougher with all the dithering, but by no means bad.  Keep up the good work!   :y:

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 07:21:46 pm
This so amazing! Sorry, I don't have any constructive to add. Maybe the purple+orange guy could use some stronger highlights and more contrast. He looks a tiny bit flat to me.

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 12:21:04 pm
Thanks guys. For the background I was aiming for an overcast, hazy winter afternoon kind of mood so you wouldn't really see clouds. Something like this:

I'm not saying I'm done with the background though. Maybe some subtle indications of mountains in the distance or something. I'll have to figure it out.
Yeah I will look into the orange guy aswell.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 12:53:54 pm
I could totally live with it as it is (I just love clouds). :)  Daring to be 'simpler' (for want of a better word) is probably the most inspiring trait of many artists I admire.  :y:

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 04:04:19 pm
Who doesn't love clouds? I'm a big fan of golden hour style light. The clouds get pretty especially when there's lot of smog ;D Actually you gave me an idea, I could make this enviroment with different seasons and weather conditions. Gonna finish those damn icetiles first though :)

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 06:51:27 pm
If you're going for a hazy winter background, you might try making the background a bit more gray and/or less saturated. As is, it just looks like a clear blue sky to me.

Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 07:09:11 pm
You're right. How's this?

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 08:19:35 pm
I personally prefer the original. May not look so realistic, but more realistic isn't always better.

Only thing I'm not keen on are the sharp edges on the lower parts of the blocks of ice. I wouldn't expect to find such except where its freshly broken.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 08:51:44 pm
I like that better. It fits your vision better, it helps the foreground stand out, and it's easier on the eyes because it's not so saturated. Win-win-win.

Really cool looking look by the way.
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)