AuthorTopic: Ice planet platform mockup [WIP]  (Read 8221 times)

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile

Ice planet platform mockup [WIP]

on: May 31, 2015, 05:22:03 am
Here is what I got so far. A lot of things rough and blocked in obviously. Going to create more tiles for the iceblock thing so I can build a bunch of different formations.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Re: Ice planet platform mockup [WIP]

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 01:49:54 pm
Characters and background are super super nice..  At that rare stage where everything has the perfect amount of simplicity and detail.  I'd love to convince you to whack in a cloud layer and then leave it alone.   :lol:

Ice stuff looks a bit rougher with all the dithering, but by no means bad.  Keep up the good work!   :y:

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 07:21:46 pm
This so amazing! Sorry, I don't have any constructive to add. Maybe the purple+orange guy could use some stronger highlights and more contrast. He looks a tiny bit flat to me.

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 12:21:04 pm
Thanks guys. For the background I was aiming for an overcast, hazy winter afternoon kind of mood so you wouldn't really see clouds. Something like this:

I'm not saying I'm done with the background though. Maybe some subtle indications of mountains in the distance or something. I'll have to figure it out.
Yeah I will look into the orange guy aswell.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 12:53:54 pm
I could totally live with it as it is (I just love clouds). :)  Daring to be 'simpler' (for want of a better word) is probably the most inspiring trait of many artists I admire.  :y:

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 04:04:19 pm
Who doesn't love clouds? I'm a big fan of golden hour style light. The clouds get pretty especially when there's lot of smog ;D Actually you gave me an idea, I could make this enviroment with different seasons and weather conditions. Gonna finish those damn icetiles first though :)

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 06:51:27 pm
If you're going for a hazy winter background, you might try making the background a bit more gray and/or less saturated. As is, it just looks like a clear blue sky to me.

Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 07:09:11 pm
You're right. How's this?

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 08:19:35 pm
I personally prefer the original. May not look so realistic, but more realistic isn't always better.

Only thing I'm not keen on are the sharp edges on the lower parts of the blocks of ice. I wouldn't expect to find such except where its freshly broken.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 08:51:44 pm
I like that better. It fits your vision better, it helps the foreground stand out, and it's easier on the eyes because it's not so saturated. Win-win-win.

Really cool looking look by the way.
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 09:42:13 pm
Everything here looks very nice and crisp except snow and ice. It's the only place when you've used dithering and it somehow looks like it's taken from another game and used as placeholder. I think that you should make that part match the rest of the image cause other elements look very cool. I'm sure it's easier to make simplistic but more effective ice and snow.

I also agree that first more saturated background looks better, cause it matches very saturated characters. :)

Great work overall and I would like to see some animations. :)

Offline Vagrant

• At your service.
    • @VagrantPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43310.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 10:11:28 pm
I like the original.

The saturated blue keeps it all working together. The second one's lack of it not only creates disharmony but it dulls the sleek concept art-ish' finish the original once had- it's main point of appeal.

And what Harvey said for the snow, I quote for it's importance;

Everything here looks very nice and crisp except snow and ice. It's the only place when you've used dithering and it somehow looks like it's taken from another game and used as placeholder. I think that you should make that part match the rest of the image cause other elements look very cool. I'm sure it's easier to make simplistic but more effective ice and snow.

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 12:33:58 pm
I really like the style. The background stands out just as needed, the ice is cool (woooo) and the colourful characters are contrasted. Love it!

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 12:50:37 pm
I actually prefer the bright blue as well, though there may be some room between the two, if you're set on dulling it.  Yeah, it's a little less realistic but it has a striking look I like. 

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 02:21:58 am
I agree with surt but u can fade the blue sky a little bit and add a hazy gradient to the bottom so everything fades out which is a tricky way to separate the background layer from the foreground without any strange connectivity issues.
then u could add some more mountains here and there just kinda popping up out of the cloud layer.
just ideas looks great as it is anyway lol.

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 03:41:29 am
I took the original and reduced the saturation (without darkening it).

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 02:39:48 pm
Thanks all, good ideas. I guess I haven't found the style I'm looking for 100% yet. In my defence I am really fond of the amiga/demo scene dithering heavy style.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 03:45:10 am
I really prefer the simplicity and strong colours of the original. No desaturation, no detailed background.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 08:02:09 am
I really hoped to have time to edit this.
I think the original looks cool but understand the saturation concerns which basically is fine if ur prepared to build the rest of ur assets accordingly which I guess is a little bit advanced.

IMO the problem with the iterations is that the contrast between the buildings and the sky is too great due to varying reasons in each case such as brightness and saturation.

IMO a little less saturation than the original would be appropriate but not as much as ur latest iteration which looks boring.
in either case just watch the contrast of buildings vs sky.