AuthorTopic: Portraits (Erde)  (Read 8172 times)

Offline pavanz

• View Profile

Re: Portraits (Erde)

Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 12:42:03 am
The face's angle is much better now! I think you could make her eyes less opened, and adjust the eyebrows, to match even more the sketch expression (and make her eyes look slightly down, as Silenia pointed out).
For the new pose, I think you placed her arm too low (but not the shoulder pad) in relation to her head, so it gives the impression that her arm is too long.

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 04:14:53 am

So here's my take on the pencil drawing part of this.

The red and blue point out the arm- namely, how it's way too short. Your arms should come down to halfway down your thigh or so, not right at the buttocks. The exaggeration of her legs makes her torso/arms seem really stubby in comparison.

The green is basically the question of 'how do those legs even work'? Since your legs are equal in length, when you bend one of them at an angle you have to compensate by lifting your foot so that the net height is the same. Otherwise, you end up with a drawing which implies that the character has different clearance for each of their legs.

In my paintover there, I shortened the legs a bit and tried to make them seem more dynamic.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 05:47:47 am
Hey there,
Really interesting palette on this one, and great expression in the pencil drawing. If you're trying to capture that expression more faithfully, you need to drop the eyelids more. I believe the reason the hauty expression is successful is the combination of an upwards chin, and downward looking eyes. Looking down on someone and looking to be above them at the same time, in terms of body language.

There's also some areas where your shading is spaced too evenly, creating an overly soft, ambiguous look. bringing value shapes closer together and farther apart along the anatomy to create softer and harder edges will allow for more detailed description of the forms without using something like line. Also, I don't know how flat or realistic a style you want for the accessories, but if going for something more represenational, the shoulder plate could be enhanced with a strong highlight and core shadow to embrace it's reflectivity. Right now it is also on the soft side and a bit flat.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 05:52:16 am by Ryumaru »

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 03:50:05 am
  Didn't have time to get to an edit until now. Thanks for taking the time to make those images Drazelic and Ryumaru.

I made some edits to the anatomy based on what Drazelic pointed out. That leg really was twisted.

There's also some areas where your shading is spaced too evenly, creating an overly soft, ambiguous look. bringing value shapes closer together and farther apart along the anatomy to create softer and harder edges will allow for more detailed description of the forms without using something like line.
Thanks for putting that so well; I understood what you meant with the combined image. I like the way you edited the forehead and cheek with that said.
I kept certain features in mine but edited them a bit (like the roundness in her face). I also kept the eyes more similar to what they were. I took your darker color and added it into my palette adjusting a bit.

Here's a combined image:

The shoulder pad's and lower parts of the hair's pixels are really rough for now cause I may adjust again to match the full-body.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:07:51 am by |||| »

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 01:31:41 pm
Update; pixel version:

The feet need work.. but I need to rest for now.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 01:39:03 pm by |||| »

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 12:58:34 pm
Changed the palette a bit as I went, optimizing it.
Stil working on it though.

still need to to "doll" the shoes and necklace (at least I kinda feel like a pixel "doll"er at this point). I also need to add the sword but that'll be a later step.
Then I'll polish even further.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 01:11:50 pm by |||| »

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 07:21:48 pm
 I finished the full body that I probably didn't need; the exercise however, was worth doing. I finished it a while ago but wanted to wait and see if there was any feedback before posting. Since the thread's gone quiet I'll go ahead and post it:

Why I really wanted to bump this thread though;
Phisol needs some improvement. I've made an update but I think it could be better.

Changes I made in this one: More masculine face, Less glam rock appearance overall esp. in the eyes, slightly larger ear, broader shoulders and less spikey hair in the back (that was dumb):

newer version (along with others from the collection so far):