AuthorTopic: Help with my monitor setting  (Read 6477 times)

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Help with my monitor setting

on: August 23, 2006, 04:58:08 pm
I can't seem to find the right tuning of my flat screen monitor <viewsonic>  and it's hard when Ii post my graphics believing that it would be dark enough but people would see it brighter.

Maybe this might work, which of the following is normal in your eyes in terms of contrast? Probably would help me adjusting it.

Thanks in advance :D

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Help with my monitor setting

Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 05:38:13 pm
For my screen (TFT monitor) the bottom one is best.

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 05:42:46 pm
Somewhere in between B and C.

Btw, if it's a Viewsonic PF95 that you have, you win. I loved mine dearly.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 05:45:14 pm by Frychiko »
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 06:27:10 pm
I'd probably say between A and B (A looks the best IMO) - but i use an imac and the screens are genreally brighter than most regular monitors.  C doesnt look contrasted enough but i'd listen to the PC guys.  My parents have a viewsonic monitor ill have a look on it for you later.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 07:12:21 pm
I'd say C looks perfect for me.  :P

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 07:36:31 pm

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 07:39:37 pm
I keep my monitor on 100% brightness and contrast... I was told to on the old pixelation and haven't changed it since.

With B and C, the black is just too washed out and bright and looks more like a grey. The black on A is perfect, but the white pieces are just too dark. I don't think it has anything to do with your monitor though. Anyways, I like A. B is decent too, though.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 10:26:51 pm
mhh, i like b the most, but i doubt that this will help you calibrate your monitor since this really depends on the different tastes too. here is a quick way to adjust your gamma, though there are better tables and walkthroughs out there: http://www.tsi.enst.fr/~brettel/TESTS/Gamma/Gamma.html
with this app you can estimate your current gamma by just squinting and fiddling about till you cannot make out any difference between the middle square and the bg anymore. then play around with the monitor settings till  youhave your desired gamma value (i have 2.20, which is pretty much in the middle of the suggested range)

don't mind the crt-related header, it applies for your flatscreen just the same

for those who happen to understand german, and who want to learn more about color-management (important if you're going to do professional illustration and print work), this here is a nice resource [link]

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 02:42:37 am
I believe Helm recommended this program in another thread.
http://quickgamma.de/indexen.html

I tried to find the thread but had no luck as neither google or this site's search was able to grab it. I'm pretty sure that Helm was involved in it. I don't believe it was its own thread but rather took place as offtopic talk in a critique thread. It's been awhile since I came across the thread so I can't be 100% sure.

Not that I'm an expert, but I think you're going about this the wrong way. You need a more objective way to decide the proper mon. settings and relying on subjective opinions without any common standards doesn't seem like the way to go.

If I can find the thread I'll post again.

EDIT: I swear this site can be so weird when searching. I'm absolutely positive that I got the link for quickgamma here. I'm going to have to scroll through Helm's comments to find the thread where it took place.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 02:53:57 am by crab2selout.png »

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 09:43:39 am
that app rocks. and i had 2.19 all by eye-measure, yay

edit: ok, i actually read through it for the first time :P and what i said was quite some bullshit. i never actually changed the gamma value but just changed contrast and brightness settings of the monitor (gamma seems to be automatically set to 2.20 in windows anyways). i guess you can still use this app for quick adjustments for your flatscreen too
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 01:23:29 pm by miascugh »