AuthorTopic: [PAID] Pixel Art to change the world! - CLOSED FOR NOW  (Read 2755 times)

Offline ChouDa

• View Profile
UPDATE 5/21:  Applications are closed for now!  Thank you for all of your interests and enthusiasm!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys and girls of the pixel,

How's it going?  I'm Justin, Founder and Managing Director of a little up-an-coming website called The Zero Review.  Here's a quick Q&A.

Q: So, who are you?
A: A dude who loves writing and riffing about video games.

Q: No no, I mean, what is The Zero Review?
A: A small website with big plans.  Essentially, we want to revolutionize the way people consume their video game news and reviews.  [Insert silly "change the world" quote here]

Q: Ha!  How? 
A: Easy!  Through the means of funneling content into the happy faces of every consumer in a particular way.  The inner workings are, for obvious reasons, not up for discussion until things are signed and hands are shaken.

Q: I've checked the site, looks like a silly blog to me.
A: It is!  For now.  We're in the midst of working on the refresh.  Consider what you see on www.thezeroreview.com to a band-aid until the real fun starts.  What you, Mr./Ms./etc Pixel Artist, will be working on will compliment that refresh.  Which leads me into my next topic...

Talent Requirements:
Q: Okay, so what, or who, are you looking for?
A: A talented pixel artist, or artists, who may not necessarily have much, if any, experience with video game development or the process, but 1) is passionate about video games, 2) can work together with the director and developers through the creative process and 3) can meet deadlines!

Main Deliverables (there will be sub-deliverables)
1)  Character Design
    - Character body models (race/male/female/etc)
    - Different character facets (styles of eyes, hair, skin color, etc)
    - Apparel that can be tweaked for each body model (heads, hands, feet, upper and lower body)
    - Animation/frames for sprites (walking/running/attacking/etc.)
    - Looking for a style that is accessible to all gamers (so nothing too anime-y, western-y, cute or rugged, etc)
    - For examples of what we're looking for, think within the range of the following:
        >Super Time Force
        >Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
        >Hyper Light Drifter
        >Starbound
        >Star Mazer

2)  Setting Design
    - Immersive world to each level/town/city/room/etc
    - Design reusable patterns/objects/props/etc to streamline room designing in the future

Q: Do I need to be good at both?
A: Not at all!  Actually, I prefer it be separate.  I would never wish work-overload on anyone, that shit sucks.  But, if you think you have the ability to turn around things quickly at baller-status quality, then we can definitely work something out.  I wouldn't expect an answer on this until we talk specifics, but just so you get the idea.

Q: This sounds like a lot of work...
A: Oh, it most likely will be.  And I'll be frank, we need someone who's dedicated to the quality of work and committed to being timely.  I need someone who's proactive and isn't afraid of little constructive criticism.

Timing:
Q: You talk about timing a lot.  What's the timeline look like?
A: We're still in the planning stages of development, so kicking off designs will most likely be happening within the next month or so.  But, bringing on someone for the planning stages would be key to making this project run smoothly, ensuring all components compliment each other accordingly.  At a high-level, we're looking to get the designs done sometime by end of Q3 2015 if not sooner, but it all comes down to how well we plan and get you kicked off right.  And how fast you think we can turn around the assets.

Q: After I fulfill my contract, am I done?
A: Maybe.  It's up to you.  The game and the website will be ever-evolving which means we'll most likely need an artist on an ongoing basis (maybe full-time?).  We do plan on continuously expanding on the game, maybe even episodically.  If you're looking for a long term project, working with some of the coolest guys and girls in video gaming around (don't quote me on that), let us know!

Applying:
Q: How much are you paying?
A: Will be part of the conversation after we talk about the overall project and the deliverable.  As for how we'll pay you, whatever methods easiest/best for you.  Half now half later, per deliverable, time and material, whatever - we'll discuss.

Q: Alright, I'm down!  Where do I sign up and what would you need from me?
A: If you're interested, shoot me an email at Chouda243@gmail.com.  Also, please send me a portfolio of past creative you think is relevant to the needs of this project listed in the Talent Req section.  I'll respond within the next day or so and we can get to talking.

Appreciate the consideration.  If you have questions, don't hesitate to hit me up!  Otherwise, I look forward to seeing your work and possibly working with you!

/ChouDa

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 05:43:10 pm by ChouDa »

Offline SquareoftheLightOnes

• View Profile
    • tumblr
Email sent  :y: