AuthorTopic: first horse pixel  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Strawzzboy

• View Profile

first horse pixel

on: May 29, 2015, 05:41:31 pm
Here's some progress images for my first attempt at a horse. I'm not happy with the legs, the front ones especially look wonky to me. Also any ideas for getting a better mane?

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile

Re: first horse pixel

Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 07:01:07 pm
Use reference. Your anatomy is obviously not good enough for guesswork at the moment. There is really no excuse not to use the amazing tool which is google image search. But I'll give you a hint. Horses have hooves, not dress shoes  ;)

As for the mane google how to draw hair. The main idea is that hair is best represented as solid masses rather than spaghetti clumps of parallel lines which is kind of what your mane looks like.

Offline Skaz

• View Profile
    • My DeviantArt

Re: first horse pixel

Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 07:10:56 pm
Was about to say the same thing. Use photographs as reference, it's not a pixel art problem, it's a drawing one. Try to figure out how a horses "works", maybe work by beginning with a skeleton, then add meat.
Starting with outlines is tricky. Maybe start on paper, too. I don't know about your drawing skills, but making pixel art doesn't allow you to bypass the minimum in this domain. Good drawing => practice in pixel art => good pixel art.  No drawing => not-so-good pixel art.

Keep up!