AuthorTopic: Portrait Help  (Read 3099 times)

Offline skittlefuck

• skittlefuck
    • View Profile

Portrait Help

on: May 12, 2015, 06:02:16 pm
Something I've been struggling with for around 2 - 3 weeks. It's a portrait of an internet friend (ref http://i.imgur.com/HnzYXmb.jpg)

Atm, I'm having a lot of trouble with colours, the palette is really annoying and not very interesting (bland?). I can't quite seem to get his likeness to read well in the piece though, really can't find what I'm missing. Any tips on what I should change with the colour and face? I realize that since my lighting is different than the ref, it won't look quite like him, but right now it doesn't look recognizable to him in any way.

Here's a few other versions, I really dislike the palettes on these ones, but the face seems to look more like the ref.

Here's all my progress so far on one canvas.
http://i.imgur.com/ZYkxQIu.png

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:27:31 am by skittlefuck »

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Re: Portrait Help

Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 02:30:44 am
Top link needs a sign up to that forum, you might want to change that.

Won't be able to give a full crit until I see the subject but some early thoughts,

Well firstly, some great tech around the eyes cheeks and forehead.

The lower half of the face seems to be the area that's getting problematic.

It's a little unbalanced shading wise compared to the top half, If you flip the canvas hopefully you can see what I mean.

Small nostrils, or at least large septum.

The lips look very straight flat and unusual.

His face is upward tilting, but the straight mouth seems to flatten that angle out. As too does the beard,  I feel like at this angle a small amount of the lower jaw should be visible. And even obscured by the beard, the connection between neck, jaw and head should be hinted at.

Neck seeeeems a touch thin

Though keep in mind I'm saying all that as general advice, I might be off as I haven't been able to see the portrait subject yet.

Looking forward to progress, your pixels are always a joy to watch.

EDIT:

Just saw the photo, you need to work away some of those strong shadows, they are making him look 20 years older!

With the photo in mind his chin is actually the closest thing to the camera, so ignore my advice about the underside of the jaw. Simply work on establishing and strengthening that jaw shape more,atm it looks a little like you were going for a partial neck beard.

The space from the edge of his eyes to the hairline is pushed a little to far out. Maybe trim that back and push the hair out, it look like this guy is balding presently.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:37:14 am by AlcopopStar »

Offline skittlefuck

• skittlefuck
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 11:50:49 pm
Thanks so much for feedback Alco!

Tried touching down on the various things you've mentioned. I sort of re-did the face all together, but I think I might have fixed the lighting imbalance you were talking about? Made the palette a whole lot lighter in general which sort of pushes the shadows back on it's own -or is the middle of his face perhaps still a  smidgen too dark? Would love to move on to touching it up with a x1 brush as soon as I get the prominent features in the right spot.

I think it might be a better idea for me to get the general shape of his forehead down just so it's more comfortable to look at when comparing to the ref, then I can strip the skin away to make it all wavy later.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:57:24 pm by skittlefuck »

Offline Peyton

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 12:58:27 am
Shapes are all pretty accurate now. The only thing is that the mouth is a little bit too angry looking, and the nose is slightly at the wrong angle.

Offline DatMuffinMan

• ebogely
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/42966.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 04:31:27 am
some thoughts on color and cluster placement and general proportions. you also have a stray pixel on the forehead of a different color iirc.

he seems a bit angry in both of our versions; fine-tuning of the brows + mouth would fix that
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 04:33:19 am by DatMuffinMan »