AuthorTopic: Crocotile 3D - a new 3d modeling tool that acts like a 2d tilemap editor!  (Read 130635 times)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
Just thought I would chime in and mention that I have released a new 3d tool Crocotile 3D
I designed it to work like a 2d tilemap editor. So you can easily create 3d scenes using tiles from tilesets (there's a video on the website showing how it works).
It would be great if people can try it out and give me their feedback. You can download it for free to test it out.
Also would be great to see what others create with it!
Here are a couple examples I created! It definitely makes 3d more enjoyable for me.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 06:07:50 pm by AlexHW »

Offline Cheetah

• View Profile
I'm very impressed by this. Can your files be easily ported into Blender and other such programs? Any chance of an OSX release?

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com
That looks really great for 3d stuff!

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile
Damn, that stuff is beautiful!  ;D

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
I'm very impressed by this. Can your files be easily ported into Blender and other such programs? Any chance of an OSX release?
It can export to .obj format which most programs support. I will be looking at implementing other export options in the future.
As for an OSX release, I plan to setup a virtual machine to test that. If I can get it working, then yes.

Thanks for the comments. If there is anything anyone doesn't like about the program or anything you think could be improved, that would be useful to know. I've become comfortable using it so it's difficult for me to look at it with fresh eyes.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile
Looks interesting. I'll see if I can get it running in a Windows VM, later.
Do you plan on supporting multiple keymaps? Because some of these keys are not very usable on Colemak layout: WASD, QE. I guess AZERTY users would also have problems with those combinations of keys.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Probo

• View Profile
looks great, would love to see a panning shot of that island with the tree.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW
Looks interesting. I'll see if I can get it running in a Windows VM, later.
Do you plan on supporting multiple keymaps? Because some of these keys are not very usable on Colemak layout: WASD, QE. I guess AZERTY users would also have problems with those combinations of keys.

hmm.. I hadn't thought about that. Perhaps I should allow the user the ability to configure which keys do what, if they need to. Would that be good?

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

hmm.. I hadn't thought about that. Perhaps I should allow the user the ability to configure which keys do what, if they need to. Would that be good?
That might be necessary, I guess, given that new layouts are still being created. (My suggestion of just a choice between preset keymaps was intended as a solution that would be able to address a majority of layouts in use while keeping things simple; but I admit I have not done any research to find out how many keymaps that might require.)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio
I would pay for an OSX version of this or a plugin for Cinema4D that does the same.
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!