AuthorTopic: [PAID] Looking for an experienced Pixel Artist for a Fighting Game project  (Read 2739 times)

Offline kupo15

• View Profile

Background
I am making a 2D physics based fight game that is a cross between Smash Bros and SF or Mortal Kombat. The goal is to make a game that feels like Smash bros but has the look and flavor of traditional fighting games so that both smash bros players and street fighter players have a common game to play with. I realize this is a difficult feat but I believe the game already has achieved its goal even in the beta state. I've had a street fighter player with his fight stick play against a smash player with a controller and have a really good time.

I will start out with showing you a press kit of the game I put together which shows where it is now and where it was planning to go. I am no artist yet I spent the time pixel arting all the animations you see so I can show people a really good representation of what the game is all about. There is a download link in the original post if you wish to play it for yourself. You can also read all the responses from other people who tried it out and you will find positive responses all the way back when I first posted it 2.5 years ago.

Press Kit (post #102)
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=589973&p=4616681

I thought the HD art direction of game was good but some people who are artists that went to school for it think it could use much improving (look at page 6). I was given a very strong suggestion to change the art style from the "bad vector art" direction to a pixel style art or something better and after being convinced I very much agree this is something necessary to the game. The goal of the game is put it on kickstarter and raise a good amount of money which definitely won't happen if I were to stick with the HD art direction. So now I need to change the art style of the game.

My original vision for the art style was something really colorful and appealing very much like Nintendo games have. Essentially if you look at the graphics for Star Fox Adventures for the GC or Mighty No 9. or any Mario Game out today, and translate that into 2D based graphics, that is something I was looking for. I want something that looks vibrant and beautiful (bet you hear that a lot haha)

Here are some guidelines:
-I don't want it to look like low res pixel art like Treasure Adventure Game
I don't want it to look like Anime Style either

Details
To give you a good idea what direction I think would be good, check this out done by Pixel Pile Driver. He did pixel art but the art style doesn't have to be pixel art

I talked with Pixel Pile Driver and this was some sketches he came up with, I really like what he did with the colors and this looks really nice. Not saying this is the art style because I am open to ideas and help with it but what he came up with was very appealing and engaging to me.

The game is going to be in 720p res so the sprite sizes of the characters will be roughly 150px tall I think. I am not an artist and specifics like this is not my specialty so I would need someone who can help me with details like this as well.

The frame rate of the game is 60 fps however the art animation won't be this, it probably will be around 30 fps.

Since I already did the animations for you, you will have access to all of the animations in the gamemaker file so you can zoom and flip through. This also includes all the duplicate images currently so you can get a feel for the timing of the animation and know how much you have to work with. Most animations are over duplicated due to my limitations and patience as a non artist.

You will have a LOT of support from me for the animations as I have a very clear vision and purpose while making them. I've used lots of inspiration and assets from Street Fighter and Smash melee and other sources to help create the moves I want and have all of these resources at my disposal to help you with. I will even record myself performing the moves if you need further clarification.

The Team
I am the programmer, will be the musician for the game and the director of the game.

In addition to me there are two artists:
-Sora has been with me for a while now and has been doing the animation of the Ninja. However he wants to be relieved of his animation duties and will be focusing more on backgrounds, stages and things like that. He would be willing to help out with small animation tasks if you need the help though

Here is an example of his work

The other artist is an animator and he just recently joined the team under the old art style. He said he is interested mostly in providing basic animations instead of coloring and polishing. I am not sure if he has what it takes though to work with the new pixel art style so if you can use him, great, otherwise you will be the sole animator for the moment.

Milestones
This fighting game has an end goal to have 8 characters if the Kickstart meets its goal...more for stretch goals.

Milestone #1: Establish the new art style for the game which will be achieved by drawling all 6 current characters in it plus a couple of stages that way we get to see the full picture of what its going to look like.

(there may be one inserted here if we think of one)

Milestone #2: Translate 3-4 characters into the new style with all the animation improvements and one stage. This will be when the Kickstarter will be ready to be launched so we have a somewhat substantial amount of work to show to get people interested in donating and so that pledgers have something decent to play with:

Milestone #3: Find another Pixel artist to hire once the Kickstarter has been successful if you feel that you need the extra help.

Seeking
I am seeking an expert artist that I can trust and rely on to take the game that I have built and translate the graphics and animations and really make it come alive, something that will enable the game to raise at a decent amount of money on kickstarter.

Your job would be completely overhaul the graphics and come up with an engaging art style as well as update the character's looks. This means that you will be in charge of the artistic vision of the project.

Knowledge of Color Theory

You can help with stages if you have the time, but you will be responsible for taking the stages that Sora makes and translating them into the art style you created. I don't think he has much pixel art experience

I am also looking for someone to make a commitment and be actively engaged by working in a timely manner and is a good communicator. I don't want you to rush through work as I know great art takes time, but a previous artist that is no longer on the project had a habit of dragging their feet and I wouldn't hear from them in weeks only to find out nothing was happening. I've already been through 1.5 years of dealing with this to convert it to HD that I can't have this happen again especially since all that time and money is somewhat wasted and now that we are starting over with a new art style.

I of course will be collaborating with you to approve the art style but I'm going to try not to control and limit your artistic ideas. I was in control of the original art vision and it turns out that it was a big mistake. I need to trust that you are the art expert and that you will have something good in mind.

Most characters should resemble what they do now as their movesets were based off of their character design. However, their current art is so simple and plain because the artist that started the project wasn't that good so feel free to spice them up a give them a fresh new look.

Payment
As far as payment, I will start negotiations at where I currently am. I've been charged $30 per animation regardless of the difficulty of the animation so even a simple 5 frame pivot animation will be paid $30 to offset the work that a more involved animation such as certain attacks.

However, I am open to negotiations as I believe this budget might seem small because I'm a startup and since I'm seeking an expert animator. I am an artist myself, a musician, so I understand what its like to be screwed or have someone try to screw you over. The last thing I want to do is make you feel like I'm trying to take advantage of you which is why I'm willing to work with you on payment. In return I ask for the same courtesy that you will not try to take advantage of me since my knowledge of art compensation is poor.

This position originally is intended strictly for a freelancer, however, if you really believe in the project and are interested in a cut of the kickstarter and royalties for potential steam sales, humblebundle etc..., I am open to that in return for some sort of investment on your part. I'm not expecting you to do it for free but I do not expect bear 100% of the risk if I'm not getting 100% of the equity in the project and since I've put my blood, sweat and tears into it for the past 3.5 years. I do not anticipate that I would be willing to go above 20% as I have been actively involved in the artistic side as I created the placeholder foundation for you to work from.

Contact

If you are interested, please send me a PM or an email to lemmelmatt@gmail.com with your portfolio and a little bit about yourself. Someone who has experience making graphics for games is a plus (I think most of you have anyway).

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope to be getting a PM from you :D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 02:28:41 am by kupo15 »

Offline kupo15

• View Profile
I recently edited it slightly to be seeking a really good artist or animator, not necessarily one who is an expert pixel artist. The game doesn't have to be pixel art it just has to not be Vector and better than what I have.

If you don't think you could be an animator I am open to artists that would be able to help establish the new art style only since that is step one.

Thanks