AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] Pixel Self-Portrait  (Read 2876 times)

Offline 4iiii

• View Profile

[WIP][C+C] Pixel Self-Portrait

on: May 01, 2015, 02:23:16 pm
Hey folks,

I've been infatuated with pixel art for a looong time, but this is my first real attempt at pixeling.  For what it is, I'm happy with it, but I know it could look a LOT better.  I want to elaborate the color/texture of the hair and beard, but I have no idea where to start...  Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the feedback!   ;D
Previous:

Current:

I used the edit as a guide and played around a lil bit with the color.  I also added some color on my chin, because I do have a lighter patch there, and wanted it to show...but I also liked the shading of the beard, but couldn't get both to look right...so there ya have it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 03:26:28 pm by 4iiii »

Offline grimbee

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] Pixel Self-Portrait

Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 02:48:55 pm
hey!

your first attempt is awesome man, you have a nice style! I'd recommend some shading just to add a bit of depth. It makes a massive difference.

For the hair/beard, I'd keep it quite simple, like avoid detailing in individual hairs and treat it like its a solid form.

I started doing pixel art about 5 months ago and what I've come to realise is that less is more (particularly when you're starting out), which took me a while to realise  :)

But yeah, you've totally hit the ground running, can't wait to see it finished! x

Offline SteamCaptain

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 12:08:46 am
Grimbee is right, keep it simple and define your shapes.
Also, don't be afraid to go for some bolder colors (more contrast and a small change in color), something like this!

Would love to see some more portraits in a similar style!

Also, I don't know if its Photobucket or just you, but for pixel art JPG is a big nono  :)

Offline 4iiii

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 09:23:41 pm
Did it show up as a jpeg??  Dammit!    :o
Okay, sorry about that...  I must've screwed up the upload  :P

That edit, looks awesome!  I have been playin around with shadowing, but haven't gotten it to look right.  Thanks for the insights you guys!   :y:

Offline jadejarx

• View Profile
    • gmail.com

Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 11:42:48 am
NICE ONE