AuthorTopic: [C+C] [WIP] We can still be friends  (Read 4672 times)

Offline Poggles

• View Profile

[C+C] [WIP] We can still be friends

on: April 29, 2015, 12:47:19 am

Hello everyone, first time posting here  :) This scene I'm working on right now is mostly for practice, so feel free to toss some fundamentals my way (please  :-[). The characters depicted here are Flame Prince and Fionna, the canonical genderswaps from Adventure Time (http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130802153812/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/c/cd/Tumblr_lzil81HcKC1qzlgkno1_1280.jpg). And here is the original scene from the cartoon with Finn and Flame Princess http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131118020200/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/b/b7/S5e32_Finn_and_FP.png.

The biggest problem I'm having right now is the background, and I think my second biggest problem is color (particularly for Fionna's face).

This background here was mostly a placeholder for a while, so I'm not happy with it. Not really sure which direction I want to go.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 01:07:44 am by Poggles »

Offline foundtimegames

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] [WIP] We can still be friends

Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 01:33:14 am
Interesting idea on the genderswap. Do you have another version of the picture at double size? It'd be alot easier to see.

Offline Poggles

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 01:37:56 am
If you're talking about my pixel art, I believe when you click on the image it zooms in

Offline foundtimegames

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 01:42:45 am
Hahaha... sorry I'm new to this, I didn't know that trick!!!! Thank you!

Awesome detail work on the mini-volcano!!

Offline Poggles

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 01:44:12 am
No worries :) Thanks

Another volcano, lol. I'm not sure what to do. Nothing looks right to me.

So not too many changes here, just showing that I haven't abandoned this project lol. Just been busy. Anywaayyyy, I think the rocks are looking better thanks to nickthem's help. And no, these are not the final colors, I'll change those.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 06:23:08 am by Poggles »

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 11:53:31 am
FYI - Instead of replying to the thread constantly you should edit your latest message and put the new update that way.

I feel this piece has a lot of potential to be so much more so I did an edit to try and push some of the elements I felt would make this piece really pop and solidify.
I've made Fiona's helmet actually act more like a helmet (it's clear and is reflecting the fire).
I've pushed the contrast of the colors via hue, saturation and value, I recommend you color pick to see what choices I've done but you should ultimately attempt to figure out my process behind what I've done instead of just copy my palette. Your original color composition is smart, it's orange and purple essentially, so push that!
I've made it so the rocks look more cubed-shaped and tried to minimize pillow-shading (which makes things look very soft, it's bad 99% of the time imo).
One of the most significant changes I did was take away the dither fire and made it more of a shape; I really don't think dithering helped there and it blended in with the rock behind fire-boy.

I hope this edit helps!

Offline Poggles

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 06:41:19 am
I'm going to be really busy this weekend, so I won't be able to work on it much until Monday, but I'll definitely take all of that into consideration. You made it look so much better with just a few tweaks... also, the dithering wasn't really him breathing fire, I was just testing out different ways of shading on the rocks. But that flame-breath looks so good, I might try to incorporate it myself anyway. Thank you for all the help!

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 08:56:02 am
Well, it's a good lesson on composition and how to make sure what you're drawing looks like X thing. I mistook the dithered portion for him breathing fire because 1) it was next to his mouth (plus he's made of fire), 2) it was the only place with a different color (the other rocks didn't have that, so my mind didn't associate it as a shade for the rocks).

While dithering can add texture to an object, as far as I can tell it was originally implented due to hardware limitations on machines. Since pixels are so small, you can essentially trick the viewer into thinking (with dithering) that you have a color inbetween the two colors (used for dithering). So keep in mind this effect will happen with your art as well but imo it's just better to go ahead and throw extra colors into your palette, unless you're trying to emulate a certain machine or you're working on specific hardware. I've shown 3 different ways you can go about rendering this rock, through dither, through adding more colors or through combining both.

I would really appreciate if you utilize the crits I've given you and I'm excited to see you flesh this out into an even better piece. As I've said, it does have a LOT of potential! :)

Offline Poggles

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 01:19:59 am
So, I know I took a really long break, but I think I'm done with this one. I meant to get around to finishing it a long time ago... but, I don't really have a good excuse, I just lost interest for a while :-[ thank you nickthem for the help