AuthorTopic: Help using Tiled  (Read 2740 times)

Offline 8-bit_madness

• View Profile

Help using Tiled

on: April 25, 2015, 02:46:54 am
Hello,

So I've reached the point where I want to test some graphics that I've made from various programs like Graphics Gale and Pyxel Edit. I've read that Tiled is really good for this and I thought I would try and make a few levels using my own created tiles, mostly from Pyxel Edit. Since I use that for all terrain stuff. I've never used Tiled before and I'm having trouble importing the images from Pyxel Edit. I can't see any import options in file, only export. Also if I go into map and add external tile set when I browse my computer for the Pyxel files they seem to turn up as grey on the screen. Tiled doesn't seem to recognise them. I have files with both the original .pyxel ending and ones with .png. Also I'm assuming that file should only contain one tile right? Obviously I'm very new at all of this and require some help in becoming familiar with these programs. If you understand how Tiled works then please respond. Thanks in advance. (I know I'm probably looking in all the wrong places since I don't know the program)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 02:58:20 am by 8-bit_madness »

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Re: Help using Tiled

Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 01:58:32 pm
You won't be able to export .pxel or whatever files directly into Tiled. It is not a known format.

1. Export all your files from your editing programs as .png/.gif/.bmp...etc
2. Open up Tiled at the top find the Map pull down. Click on "New Tileset" (Map->New Tileset)
3. This will open a prompt asking you to both name the tileset as well as select an image, which is your tilemap you made in pyxel edit or gimp, but saved in .png/.gif/.bmp....etc formats.
3. Also set your dimensions which is the size of each individual tile, and your margins which is the space that separates your tiles(Which can be zero)
4. Click Okay and you should be good to go.

Your tileset can be individual tiles, however its much easier if you group your tiles onto one file. For example:

This tileset uses 16x16 tiles with 0 magins, and works just fine in Tiled.

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 09:04:53 am
can you not export .TMX from Pyxel edit? Tiled will import/export TMX files no problem.
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline 8-bit_madness

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 02:01:05 am
Thanks but I've since figured it out.

All I had to do was export the tiles as a png and then Tiled was able to read them no problem. Map>New Tileset